A4 1.8TQ vs. 5000CSQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-1999, 07:12 PM
Russell RItchey

Default A4 1.8TQ vs. 5000CSQ

Just test drove a 99.5 A4 1.8 TQ today. Thinking of trading in my 88 5000CSQ. My 5000CSQ has 153K miles and has never let me down, but is getting up there in mileage. It doesn't use any oil, runs like a top and looks fantastic. Should I take the plunge? Is it worth it?? Looking for some advice. Any comments welcome. <p>Thanks<br>
Old 04-03-1999, 11:25 PM
ChuckH

Default Know the feeling!

This past fall, I came very close to ordering a 1.8TQSM to replace my '89, 90Q, but I couldn't part with the 90Q, so I decided against it. The biggest problem for me was giving up the interior space, and the lack of leather in 1.8. Also, I find the outward visibility to be better in my 90Q (I'm tall and the short windshield and rearview mirror give me grief in teh A4), and I get foot cramps in teh A4 because the center console is so wide I have to sit in an awkward position. So, I decided that since my employer provides me with an A4 during the week, I would rather wait and get what I really want; a '95 S6 or a sailboat. Wish I could have both! The A4 is really too small for me. Don't get me wrong. I think it's a great car, but Audi forgot to make room for the passengers. <p>Now for the payback! After deciding against the A4, the sunroof motor died on the 90Q, the fuel pump went out, and I ended up buying new wheels and tires. Do I regret not having bought the A4? Nope! At 103K miles, I expect things to start breaking. Since the engine and transmission are working really well, I don't expect any major problems.<p>It's hard for me to recommend a path for you. Your car has more miles than mine does, but it sounds like it's healthy. I'd hate to steer you away from the A4, and then find out your engine blew or something. THat would make me feel really bad. All I can say is that you should drive the 1.8, then go home and make a list of positives and negatives of both cars. THat's essentially what I did. THen decide which car has the stronger positives. For me, the comfort of my 90Q won, hands down, and I wasn't willing to give that up. Also, my 90Q makes better sounds! :-) The 5 cylinder is definatly a much better sounding powerplant than the 4 cylinder, and my Scorpion exhaust doesn't hurt! Well, I better go. I feel some flames coming on! :-)<p>Charles<br>
Old 04-04-1999, 07:47 AM
GGreen

Default Re: A4 1.8TQ vs. 5000CSQ

I am in the same place you are in. I am very seriously considering a new A4 1.8T Avant, but Audi made the old ones too damn good! My '84 4000Q (original owner) refuses to die. The odometer quit 6 years ago at 165k, so it is way over 200k miles and does not burn a drop of oil. It is still a lot of fun to drive and looks great, but with that many miles I don't want to take it on trips anymore. I am seriously considering getting a Subaru Forester (A "transportation appliance" if ever there was one)and using the money saved to breathe new life into the 4000Q.
Old 04-04-1999, 11:46 AM
Todd W

Default I was there last spring

I kept the 86 5KTQ for several reasons; I couldn't get an A4 for 3-4 months, I would have had to lease - therefore no mods, the dealership I was dealing with did not have decent service, and I would have still been without a car on occasion due to regular service.<p>However the big reasons were that it was less comfortable, and unmodified it was slower. I was not going to spend that much money to get something that was not a strong improvement in reliability (days without a car), comfort, or performance.<p>Therefore, I used the money to get an UrQ as a second car :-) I still drive the 5KTQ daily, it has 200+K miles and soldiers on wonderfully (plan on 2 more years). I drive the UrQ occasionally and have begun to attend track events with it. I am never without a running car, and I can fiddle with one and drive the other. It is a great situation for me because I like working on them. <p>My costs have been similar to leasing an A4TQMS with minor mods (chip & track wheels).<p>Todd W<br>
Old 04-04-1999, 04:20 PM
rickp

Default Kids, kids, kids......get a 2.8 and you won't have to modify.....

C'mon Charles and Todd,<p>Charles, the 2.8 has 6 cylinders (not five or four). Todd, you can chip and mod it later. But it's a lot of fun with no mods. A 30V 2.8 is going to be faster than a 5K or a 90 boys! (grins)<p>Rick
Old 04-04-1999, 05:00 PM
ChuckH

Default But Russell was talking about a 1.8TQ! Don't argue with me, because...

...you know as well as I do that I'm always right. Remember? :-) Besides, the 5 cylinder still makes better sounds than the V6, and the 2.8 doesn't have any more interior room than the 1.8. Right? I thought so! :-) Sorry Rick, but I'm still mad that Audi dropped the 5 cylinder engine. It was as Audi as Quattro is Audi. As you are well aware, it is a very capable powerplant with the 20 valves and a turbocharger. I just keep picturing a 2.2l inline 5 with 25 valves and two inline turbochargers, as an upgrade to the 20 valve turbo. Can you imagine how much fun that would be? If only Audi would just bring it back and develop it further. <p>OK, so you're right the V6 is great without mods. I'm sure Russell will weigh all the factors and come up with a good plan. Frankly though, I'm surprised there aren't more respondents in favor of the 1.8. You better go gather up some others! :-)<p>Charles<br>
Old 04-04-1999, 05:11 PM
Russell Ritchey

Default Re: Kids, kids, kids......get a 2.8 and you won't have to modify.....

Rick,<p>I just have to respond to the 2.8. I spent a few years as an Audi technician, at the local dealer. In that time I personally replaced 7 engines, all under warranty, everyone of them was a 2.8. Maybe they have improved the problems, but I am still biased. I have never had an internal engine problem with one of the inline 4's or 5's. That is why I am steering towards the 1.8T, that and just the rush of the boost, even if it is not as powerful. I have never even had the valve cover off of my 5KCSQ, after 153,000 miles most of which high in the boost... Just seen to many problems with the oil pumps and pressure regulators. 1.8T here I come!!<br>
Old 04-04-1999, 08:07 PM
rickp

Default Yes but you could have 30 valves instead of 20!

Russell,<p>It's true that Audi has a lot more experience with 5s than 6s. That 5 cylinder is rock solid. I don't know much about the reliabilty of the 4s, especially turbo 4s with mods. The 1.8t has seemed fairly reliable, though. So enjoy! Besides, I found Charles and Todd on a thread together and I just couldn't resist giving them some grief together! (grins)<p>Rick<p>
Old 04-04-1999, 08:26 PM
rickp

Default Close your eyes and repeat after me.....S4, S4, S4, S4........

Charles,<p>Yes, my turbocharged, chipped, 300 hp S6 inline 5 sounded awesome. But, technology marches on. Even Lotus got rid of their Esprit's turbocharged four for a turbocharged six. Now that engine makes 350 hp and does 0-60 in 4.4 or 4.5 seconds (I love that car and wish I had one).<p>These days I'm drawn to the smooth power delivery and the rumbling sound of a big V8 (thus my interest in the BMW 540i). So when I get one (hopefully this summer/fall), I'll have twice as many cylinders as the 1.8t guys and two more than you, Charles! Catch me if you can!!! (grins)<p>Rick<p>PS Someone ratted on me to the Charles Maund Audi salesman Gordon Spencer. Now he's after me about lusting for a BMW. Gee thanks you guys (and gals)! (grins)<p>It's OK though, my business partner brought his A6 in and told Gordon, "Are you kidding ? Rick's an Audi man." Phew, that was a close one as I was about to visit the dealership for V8 A6 info! (more grins)
Old 04-04-1999, 08:32 PM
Todd W

Default Too slow . . . PES???

My modified 5KTQ is much faster than a stock 30V. What would I really like? A 30V-PES Avant quattro with real front seats, the stock ones suck. Do I have $40K - NO. Will they make the A6tt Avant - NO. Will they make an A6 Avant with a manual transmission - NO. The A6 has great front seats, but the back seats suck.<p>The stock A4 30V is fun, but not ten times as much fun for ten times the price. I have ridden in a 30V sedan and Avant. It is nice, but not comfortable for me (we had this discussion before).<p>Todd W<br>(please don't hail on my car tomorrow!)

Quick Reply: A4 1.8TQ vs. 5000CSQ