A6 Avant - Final Drive Ratio Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-1999, 07:30 AM
Gerry Lehmann

Default A6 Avant - Final Drive Ratio Change

I test drove an A6 Avant this past weekend that the dealer said had a new higher (numerically) final gear ratio. He said this was done to help alleviate the underpowered impression many had about the car and that it would take a half second off the 0-60. This particular car's mfgr plate said it was made in 5/99. The dealer mentioned that any A6 Avants manufactured in the last couple of months would have that ratio as well as the new stereo with the in-dash CD, which it had. It was the only one of about 8 A6s on the lot that had the stereo (and I assume new gear) and he went out of his way to move other cars so that it would be the one we test drove.<p>Does anyone know anything about this gear change? What was the old ratio vs the new? The dealer said he didn't know the numbers.<p>I haven't driven a previous A6 with the old gear ratio so I can't comment on the improvement, but having driven most of the competition the acceleration still wasn't particularly impressive but it did pull away from a stop pretty well. I'm going to have a tough decision ahead because my wife and I really liked the car but rather enjoy brisk acceleration as well.<br>
Old 06-22-1999, 08:26 AM
Ray Calvo

Default Re: A6 Avant - Final Drive Ratio Change

I haven't heard anything about a ratio change, and would doubt that one actually occurred unless the EPA city/highway MPG ratings changed (i.e., dropped). They would have to get this configuration retested by EPA for emissions and MPG, I believe. I would think anything like this that improves performance would hurt MPG.<p>Look on the sticker of this and other A6'a.
Old 06-23-1999, 05:36 PM
Gerry Lehmann

I'm trying to confirm it. I went back to that dealer this morning to look at the EPA sticker and the car I drove last Friday was already gone. I called a second dealer who told me the same thing, that a gear change to improve acceleration was coming, but he didn't know when or how one would tell the new cars from the old. More research to come....... I might just choose an A6 Avant yet.
Old 06-24-1999, 07:57 PM
Dwain Sealy

My wife and I recently ordered our A6 Avant and expect it in August. When we ordered it about a month and a half ago, the salesman didn't mention anything about a gear change. I hoped that a 4.2 or 2.7t would be available to remedy the problem, but Audi apparently thinks that wagons should be slow for some reason. We drove BMW and MB wagons that seemed to perform better in this area, but both liked the feel of the Audi. In the recent wagon test by R&T ( I believe that's right) the Audi performed quite similarily to its competitors in all other areas.<br>