Audi 80 Problem with Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 80 Problem with Shifting

I just got the car last week. ITs a 5 speed manual, and i have problems getting it into gears. The 1st gear and Reverse are the biggest problems. And thats why i often wait 5-10 seconds with the green light infront of me. I usually put it into 2 and than into 1 but even that somethimes doesnt work. Since i bought the car recently i only changed the oil in the Engine, should i do the same in the transsmision and Differential?

Anyone can help.

Thank You
Old 03-08-2001, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Audi 80 Problem with Shifting

Changing the oils is a start........

Check the shift linkage, and the transmission mounts.

Since 1st and reverse are at the 2 extreme ends on the shift pattern, it sounds like your problem may be the linkage.

I also mentioned the mounts, because they wear-out and allow the transmission to shift to one side, ever so slightly, which can cause shifting problems, by mis-aligning the shift linkage.

Do the gears "grind" at all when your shifting?
Old 03-08-2001, 05:50 AM

No the when i shift it does not Grind, it only has difficulties getting into gears, NOT ALL the times but sometimes. Also when i drive in 3 or 4 or any gear, when i let go of the gas, since i like driving with my hand on the shifter. It shakes left and right, and that also concerns me. I just hope i dont have to do any work on it thats all.

Thanks for your help Miktip
Old 03-08-2001, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you shouldn't be leaning on the shifter, that's not good for it since it is directly linked unlike..

an auto trans shifter. is the trans fluid in that model synthetic? it may have been replaced with the regular fluid, which is much cheaper than the syn. It's possible that with the colder temps that the fluid needs time to warm up. Do you only notice this problem when you first get into the car or is it constant? If it's constant, than replacing the fluid to synthetic probably isn't your solution, but couldn't hurt.
Old 03-08-2001, 05:32 PM

Default you shouldn't be leaning on the shifter, that's not good for it since it is directly linked unli

No the problem with the shiftin actually occurs when the car warms up. When i start the car, and when its cold for 4-5 minutes it goes so easy into 1st and reverse, its when it warms up where the problems begin. I usualy shift it into 2 and than into 1, but the problem is when i try to park, i just cannot put it into reverse, and i get stuck on a spot for a minute. Now my guess is that its not only changing the oil, which i will do this weekend, but that there is something wrong with the transs. WEll hopefully i will find out this weekend.

Thank For Your help

Andrej
88 Audi 80 Quattro
85 BMW 325E
Old 03-09-2001, 02:32 PM

dont forget to push down a little for reverse
Old 03-09-2001, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same problem with my Quattro, its probably a similar fix. I had a hard time and my wife absolutely couldn't get the car in 1st and Reverse - even when pushing down correctly. The problem was at the tranny where the linkage connected to it. It is a "ball and joint" connection, the ball is on the tranny and the linkage "joint" goes on the ball. There is a nylon bushing/sleeve that slid in the linkage that wore out and was not translating the entire range of movement from the linkage to the tranny.

$2.00, four bloody knuckles, and one hour later the shifting was back up to snuff.