Bay Area (Berkeley) independent repair shop recommendation - Wolf Sport / German Auto Salvage (more)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2000, 08:32 AM
Leo

Default Bay Area (Berkeley) independent repair shop recommendation - Wolf Sport / German Auto Salvage (more)

Location: 1453 4th Street (between Gilman & University) in Berkeley
(800) 342-8669
Web: www.wolfsport.com/products.htm

I was sincerely amazed at the level of knowledge and enthusiasm everyone behind the counter exhibited. This was not the normal operating model. They workon Audi's as well as VW's & BMW's. They all drive Audi's (one of the mechanics has a urS4). While I was there I was again amazed at the volume of incoming calls for technical assistance - everything from fuel pump diagnostics to BMW engine swaps for gray market imports. These guys know their stuff and they are genuinely excited to share their knowledge. Their prices are very fair and service is excellent.

I originally went there to buy some DOT 4 brake fluid so I could put on my new rotors and pads on all four corners. After asking them (for the hell of it) how much would they charge to perform the task, they looked in their book and determined that the front and rears axles both required an hour each, flushing the brake fluid would be another 3/10ths of an hour, so for about $150 the job could be done. That was less than half of what Griffen Motorwerkes (sp?) wanted and German Auto Salvage use ATE super blue as their standard.

Bottom line is that anyone in the Berkeley/SF area should consider they guys if they either need a repair, regular maintenance, or a part (they have a large selection of new & used parts for VW, Audi, & BMW). I am sorry to say I cannot remember any of their names, but they all pick up the phones and all are knowledgeable.

Thats my humble assessment.