Broken Clutch pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2000, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Clutch pedal?

I believe I have broken the clutch pedal on my '82 Coupe GT. The pedal went to the floor as I depressed it at the top of a hill. I was able to coast back down the hill to my house, but I haven't had a chance to take a close look.

This moring I checked the connection from the cable to the clutch operating lever (under the hood)and it looked okay.

As I was checking the pedal, I found a spring and then a piece that looked like the spring went inside of a sleeve.

I checked the manual and it shows an "over-center spring" which is enclosed by two sleeves. It attaches to the clutch pedal and the cable hooks to the top of the pedal. So, it appears that my clutch pedal has snaped just above the pivot point.

Unless there are some 2 peice clutch pedals? But that sounds dangerous (as I found out).

Unfourtunately I don't have the pieces available right now to look at.

has anyone else had this happen?
Old 12-15-2000, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Broken Clutch pedal?

I had a similar problem with my 86 CGT. When I pressed the clutch to the floor it stayed there. Unfortunately for me I was a student at the time and couldn't afford to get it looked at, also great sites like this were not around to offer help. When I finally was able to take the car to a mechanic he told me that the clutch on that car was hydraulic and the hydraulics were shot. He replaced it for me and it worked fine. I'm not sure if that's what was really wrong with it but it's a direction you may want to start looking in. I ended up driving the car like that for a month using some McGuyver skills. I took a coat hanger and opened it up so it was straight and hooked the bottom of it to the clutch pedal. When ever I wanted to take off or shift gears, I would push on the pedal which would then go all the way to the floor, shift, and then pull the hanger, which rested between my legs, to engage the clutch. I could control how fast I popped the clutch by creating resistance with my foot pressing on the clutch while pulling up on the hanger. I actually got pretty good at it, even raced at a few stoplights and won! . Ahh the memories......
Old 12-15-2000, 08:48 AM

Default That's the best story I've heard in weeks but,

The '82 Coupe GT has a cable clutch. It's almost too simple. Aside from being broken, mine probably needs to be adjusted. I think most hydraulic clutches are self adjusting.