Has anyone replaced 1993-5 Audi 90 Catalytic Converters? Possible recall? (more...)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2000, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone replaced 1993-5 Audi 90 Catalytic Converters? Possible recall? (more...)

I am concerned that there is something wrong with the air/fuel mixture with my 1995 Audi 90 due to both catalytic coverters failing at the same time. For those of you that have 90's, you may remember that there was a recall for the fuel injectors sometime in 1998 that were improperly spraying fuel. Does anyone know if this could have then caused the converters to fail? Or, is the K&N filter that I have installed about 6-months ago allowing too much air in? I would think the sensors would adjust for this. Plus, I had the 90k maintenance done about a month ago and there were no errors found. So, I'm confused and concerned.

AoA said there's an 8 yr/80 mi warranty for the emmission system, but I have 94k on my Audi. I assume if more Audi 90 drivers called AoA @ 1-800-822-2834 that have had to replace their converters (possibly b/c of the faulty fuel injectors), then we could get a recall for the converters. Is this possible? Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 10-04-2000, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I will soon!! (more...)

I just got back from the dealer with my 95 90Q. Both cats were bad, luckily for me, I only have 65k miles so the replacement is free. When they get the parts in they'll call me up so I can get in to get them replaced!!

There was a recall on the 93-94 drivers side cat on the FWD automatics. Otherwise you get to pay for it if it's past warranty.

I agree with you there is a problem because the cats shouldn't go out that quick but getting AoA to own up to it is another thing all together!! I have no idea what is causing it but hopefully someone will figure it out and AoA will "do the right thing"!! But I think we're really just dreaming if we think anything will happen with it.

Good Luck!!!
---
Andrew
95 90Q
91 90
90 80Q
Old 10-04-2000, 11:46 AM

Default Anyone else? ... I guess that's what I get for enjoying my Audi by putting almost 100k on it...

I previously had a "family-hand-me-down" Honda Accord with 280k (120k of it was mine) and my first car was an '89 Acura Legend Coupe with 160k (110k of it was mine), which I didn't have any cat problems with either.

This is the only problem that I've had with this car and this didn't make me happy. I don't understand why AoA wouldn't cover this. My dealer swears these are liftime with the car (just like the tranny fluid, is that true?) and they cannot figure why it happened, other than the fuel injector possibility. I hope more Audi owners file complaints for this problem w/AoA.
Old 10-04-2000, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Anyone else? ... I guess that's what I get for enjoying my Audi by putting almost 100k on it...

It's just the 93-95 90's that have the problem not ALL Audi's. I have an 80Q and a '91 90 with 200k and 165k miles, respectivley, and they are on original cats.

Another thing to watch out for with this (93-95 90's) car is the A/C evaparator. This is a common failure item and is expensive to replace(time consuming). Just a heads up!!

All cars have there problems but the 93-95 90's just happens to have expensive problems!!
---
Andrew
95 90Q
91 90
90 80Q
Old 10-04-2000, 12:57 PM

Thanks! I had the evap replaced around 60k under warranty. anything else to look out for?
Old 10-04-2000, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Re: Anyone else? ... I guess that's what I get for enjoying my Audi by putting almost 100k on it...

The Audi V6 suffers from several "bugs" inherant
to its design. Thats why Audi has a "specific" warranty period covering specific items with specific intervals. These are "engineered parts"
were talking about here! Engineers fully understand the life expetentancy of the parts they designed! They know exactly how long something is going to last, under normal conditions! Gone are the days when Audi would
"over-build" parts to make them last!
The 93+ 90 series Audi suffers from several problems inherant to the model and Audi is "fully"
aware of these problems, however...............
Audi is in no way "legally obligated" since a vast
majority of these problems last beyond their specific warranty period!

Your air conditioner evaporator still intact?
How about your heater core? Head gaskets leaking
oil yet?

These are but a few problems which seem to be common problems with the 93+ 90 line.

The injector recall was for possable fire hazard
of a specific part numbered injector.

The cat recall was for failing cats before their
time.

There are suitable replacement cats available for the 93+ 90 series other than at the dealerships outrageous $900 price.

Just need to "shop around"

If your expecting your Audi to "last a lifetime"
or beyond its warranty period, and expect Audi to pay for items beyond warranty, good luck!

You own a "modern car" where its life expetantcy
on the average is 5 years! The "average driver"
gets a new car every 3 years, so why should manufacturers make them last any longer?

Manufacturers make cars as "inexpensively" as they can, inorder to maxamize profits!

There in it for the money! Look at how much parts cost! Ever try to by your car piece by piece? It would cost you 3-5 times as much!

Dont always believe or trust the dealers word either! Ask to see it in writing! Especially warranties!

Buyer be ware! Whats the Latin version?????
Old 10-04-2000, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Caveat Emptor
Old 10-05-2000, 07:22 AM

Default caveat emptor - "let the buyer beware" ...

I fully understand the theory behind consumer products not lasting a person's lifetime and that the manufacturers are counting on the products to fail in order for the consumers to purchase their products again, assuming the product lasted its intended lifetime in comparison to similar products in order to not lose business to its respective competitors. After all, I do prosecute trademarks for a living, which are attached to various ever-changing, expended goods and services.

Although it is not possible to equally compare Japanese cars to Germans cars (especially Audis) in respect to performance, however, the parts themselves should compete with those of its competitors. I feel that Audi has done that as a whole, but, in my mind (and others), AoA knew of problems with my/our model. When in fact that parts did fail before their time, then they should replace them at their costs. After all, the "lifetime" of parts are only determined by engineers guestimating on prior experience of testing and actual consumer use, but in this case, the car was only made for three years. Thus, not giving AoA enough time to see their faults. However, when they did see them, they dropped the model from the line up. I'm sure the introductions of the A4 models had some influence to dropping the 90's as well.

I guess my experience has taught me as a consumer not to be fooled into buying only part of the whole by believing in the whole. This doesn't mean that I'm not happy with my Audi. It's been the best car I've ever owned, even over my Acura Legend Coupe that got me into trouble with 5 or 6 (lost count) speeding tickets, 160k miles with no mechanical problems, even my cats. This will never keep me from buying another Audi or three in the future (S4 Conv't when/if made would be nice), but I will not buy a model of car that is dropped from the line up without researching it first.

If the maker of panty-hose would manufacturer the ever-lasting design that does exist, they too would go out of business once women would buy every color they wanted. But, would women actually get every color?, probably not, they'd need another black.

ok, I'm getting off my soap box now.
Old 10-05-2000, 09:01 AM
ARK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 93 90S 110Kmiles : My driver cat died (rattle) last month, free replacement, now pass. cat died!
Old 10-05-2000, 10:18 AM

Default Here's an "after-market" recommendation for good direct fit cats...

Since mine were not included in the recall (so far), I had to do some shopping around for cats. I found a few places, but this one has good cats that were also recommended on Audi World in the "Links" section under "Parts & Accessories." Mine were around $300 each, which come with a 2 yr/25k mi warranty for the core and 50k mi for the casing.

Be sure to ask for the gasket, one didn't come with mine and I had to call again.

The only thing about putting non-Audi parts in place of the old ones is if these eventually are recalled, we probably won't get the money back for putting these on. For me, this wasn't exactly a do-it-yourself project. I asked the Audi mechanic that works on my car about the procedure. Be careful with the bolts to the headers, if you don't heat them up enough (use a blow torch), you will probably break them off because they're pretty well rusted on and cause major damage to the headers. Have a Meineke or Midas type place put them on for you, if you don't have a favorite non-Audi mechanic ... assuming you're deadler won't put on non-Audi parts.

http://www.discountconverter.com/converters/audi/audi_direct_fit.cfm

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced 1993-5 Audi 90 Catalytic Converters? Possible recall? (more...)