HELP with 4kQ heater core (long cold rant)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2000, 12:03 PM
adc
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP with 4kQ heater core (long cold rant)

Well, it's that time of the year when we all need a little warmth in our cars, isn't it? Not for me in any case, since the heater core is acting up in my 86 4kQ.

Ok, here are the symtoms. My windshield is getting foggy and I have to run the fan on speeds 3 or 4 with the AC on just to be able to see out. Of course, in these conditions the car doesn't get a lot of heat. To top it all, I get that awful cooling fluid smell not to mention the fumes which surely must be toxic.

The part itself if a $62 affair from Blau, but how hard is it to do the work? Does it involve taking out the dash, or the center console? Or is this an engine bay job? In a related note, my friendly Audi dealer quoted me a whopping $1400, which means it would be more, which means I'll either have to suffer the indignity through the winter or fix it myself.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who will answer my questions.

It's cold out here on the east coast,

adc

PS: Are there any cheaper Audi shops in the DC area?
Old 12-29-2000, 10:10 PM

Default the 1990 80 it is listed as an 11 hour job...

and at $70/80 an hour plus part = a lot. Well I did it myself. It took a long time, several attempts, and many days driving around with the car disasembled. I wish I had the bently manual then. The whole time I told myself I would never takie the dash out again, but hen heat is nice and cold is bad. The 4000 will be different but it does not look to be that different considering the quote. it is very frustrating work and I would not recomend unless you are good mechanically and do not mind braking a few small things It good be a love hate bonding expirience with your car.
P.S. those fumes are good for you. Aromatherapy
Old 12-30-2000, 05:03 PM

Default Re: HELP with 4kQ heater core (long cold rant)

A cheap fix I tried was to use Bars Leak and it worked for me and has been working this way for over 3 years on my 4KQ. Some people say that it doesn't work, but used the premixed in the gray bottle once every six months installed EXACTLY the way the bottle says and you'll be fine if your core isn't blown to smithereens. It's less than 5 bucks to find out. good luck and let us know if it works for you too.