My 4000 q has started to "howl" while driving....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-1999, 07:40 AM
Matt Daniels

Default My 4000 q has started to "howl" while driving....

I'm assuming that it's related to the cold weather, but it is very embarrasing. It's like I'm driving around with a constantly howling wolf in my trunk. This howl seems to be speed related (i.e it gets worst as I go faster) and it will come and go. But once it starts, it will keep going until I stop at a light or something, when I start moving again, it may or may not be there. I'm guessing it probably has something to do with the rotors, anybody have any ideas? The car just passed state inspection about two weeks ago and nothing was pointed out to me (other than the item that didn't pass inspection) and the shop I took it too usually will point these things out.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Matt
Old 12-15-1999, 07:46 AM
Todd W

Default Does it change in turns or when braking?

Sounds like when my rear wheel bearing went. Could also be the tires.

Todd W
Old 12-15-1999, 09:07 AM
Matt Daniels

Default Nope....

It only changed changes to speed - the faster I go the louder/faster it gets. I slow down and so does it and gets quiter. Again, I think it's related to the cold, since it's only started in the last week or so while it's been really cold, but it does seem to be getting worse.

I guess I'll have to take it to the shop and see what's up.

Matt
Old 12-15-1999, 11:43 AM
ErikR

Default Methinks Todd is correct...

The rears will get worse with the cold as the grease takes longer to move around, doesn't change with turning.
Old 12-15-1999, 02:04 PM
Matt Daniels

Default Is it anything to worry about?

Or do you think it will go away when it warms up a bit? I'm planning on taking to the shop this week to have it looked at.

Also, when I was driving around today, I noticed that the temp gauge got almost to the "H" - I don't think this has ever happened before (but I don't drive this car enough to really know). I think my thermostadt was changed a couple of months ago when I replaced the waterpump and belts.

Matt
Old 12-15-1999, 03:02 PM
ChuckH

Default not to scare you, but does your rear diff. have enough...

...oil? Also, the driveshaft carrier bearing will cause a howl or growl if it goes out, but it would be farther forward and from what I've heard, is mostly heard at freeway speeds. Otherwise, bearings would be my best guess also.

Charles
Old 12-15-1999, 06:32 PM
William

Default Front , Center, Rear, where ?

The location is important in determining the howl. I conjecture it is not center because that is too obvious. If it is rear, I had a similar problem(albeit a few years ago), and the problem was in the diff and was labor intensive but not too costly. Fix, quiet, and sell.

William
Old 12-15-1999, 06:34 PM
William (did not listen)

Trunk, should be d-line or diff.
Old 12-16-1999, 06:49 AM
ErikR

Default Nah, the H is a problem though...

Bearings take forever to sieze after they start making noise (not that they should be ignored). The hot reading is an issue. I would test the fan (unplug themo, etc.,) and check if the rad is hot when the guage says high.
Old 12-16-1999, 07:05 AM
Matt Daniels

Default Weird, it stopped today....

I guess it was the threat of taking it to the "doctor" that made it be quite. I'll give it a few more days and see if it reappears.

As for the "H" reading, now that ErikR mentions the fan below, I don't recall it coming on yesterday while driving. My fan is pretty loud, so I usally know when it kicks on. I'll check the connections and see what's up. Luckily, I live and work only 5 minutes from each other, and all other places I usually go to are just as close. The car usually never gets a chance to properly warm up.

Matt

Quick Reply: My 4000 q has started to "howl" while driving....