My little status report from Melrose Garage (click at your own risk)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2000, 09:07 AM
Todd W

Default My little status report from Melrose Garage (click at your own risk)

My coupe and home theater system are fighting for my funds. My student loan payments kick back in this summer, so I am trying to spend the money while I have it :P

The coupe went to the body shop and had the rear end pulled out. It lines up really well. I just need to replace the rear muffler so that I can get it inspected. I ripped out the seats and the carpet, half of the carpet had to be vacuumed out of the car it had deteriorated so much. The front seats are back in and the car drives, but no center console. I fixed the shifter (bad bushing) but the Momo Short Anatomic shift **** is on national backorder, so ratty leather for now. I did order a Momo Monte Carlo from GPR today for $109 / free shipping.

The floor pan on the passeenger's side is a disaster, all mushed in and even split in one place. A friend is starting a German car performance shop nearby (turbo/supercharging VW's, AWD VW's, etc.). He wants the honor of using the sledgehammer and MIG on it. I may leave him to it. Meanwhile all of the electrical will be redone, including moving the battery from under the rear seat to the trunk. I even got an 86 4K dash in the junkyard this weekend, so the urk might be sporting a new look soon.

I am beginning to think that the coupe might not be ready for the track on the first weekend in April. I have amassed all of the suspension bushings in preparation for a complete redo. I was even going to get coilovers. Some confusion between myself and Vortrag (nothing major) and my interest in giving the coupe ABS has made me think that I am not ready for coilovers yet. It also means that I shouldn't do the bushings yet.

Meanwhile I have found a BRAND NEW in the box 1990 200TQ transmission. You know, the one with a Torsen center diff. I can get it and a used V8 Torsen rear diff for $1200. The sedan would be SO happy!!! V8 Quattro performance here I come!! These parts would transfer to the coupe, along with the by then 300hp MC engine, whenever the 5KTQ finally dies. It has 208K and runs like a champ. I raced a friend in a new S4 a few weeks ago and was only 1 car length back at 70mph. However, it has center diff bearing whine, the syncros are going (I crunched 5th yesterday, that is usually the last syncro to go), and a minor leak from the tailshaft. Does anyone want a perfect rear diff with about 100k, fits 84-91 type 44 Quattros???

The sedan is getting a rebuilt steering rack and a tune-up. After that it is time to Home Depot the intercooler. Shouldn't be toooo hard to convert dual pass IC to single pass. I also need to replace my POS Autometer boost guage that died. After that, it is all about boost. I have a Hallman Boost Controller ready to go in. I am running 1.7 bar now. 1.9 will be easy, I may put a pressure regulator in the line to the ECU so that I can run 2.2 or 2.3 bar without going to a 2.5 bar ECU. I would have to do major work to the CIS to get to 2.5 bar or about 350hp. It is not likely to happen any time soon.

Gotta run, more to come . . . maybe.

Todd W
Old 01-24-2000, 03:24 PM
ChuckH

HUH? You sound like a mad scientist! :-)
Old 01-25-2000, 01:33 PM
Todd W

Default That's not the half of it (egads I love Vortrag - keep me away for my own good!!!)

I mentioned putting ABS in the coupe. Part of the advantage is going to later 5KTQ front struts that have larger wheel bearings in addition to ABS sensors. Also, the newer rear suspension is supposed to handle better despite having no rear swaybar. I suspect it is because of the different bump steer. I am now discussing with Vortrag about converting '87 5KTQ struts with ABS to work in the coupe, with coilovers of course. The rear end would get '88 80/90 rear struts with ABS and the same Koni coilovers. I would get, from any number of sources, another full set of subframes and control arms to refurb. I would then be able to unbolt the old suspension and bolt in the new one in one fell swoop.

Meanwhile, other changes may hasten my plans to install a fuel cell. The best time is before I redo the exhaust, and it needs to be done soon because the inspection has lapsed on the coupe. Also, the fuel pump died 10 days ago, so no time like the present. When the factory tank is out of the way, we will weld in a rear strut brace that will be really beefy so that it can also serve as a mount for 6pt harnesses.

If I upgrade the struts to ABS, I will also need to replace the outer CV-joints with castellated ones. This is just an issue of getting to the right junkyards. I would also like to put in an A4 carbon fiber center driveshaft, but I seriously doubt that it would fit. As for the ABS, I plan to put the computer in the battery tray under the rear seat. Remember the battery is going in the trunk. The fuel pump is also going in the trunk where it will be out of the weather / rocks / etc. Meanwhile, the rear fenders are getting rolled and I have a line on some 84-85 UrQ 15x8 Ronals for cheap. Should I get AVS Intermediates or A032's?????

Todd W

p.s. I know someone with the molds for; fenders / quarters / f&r bumper covers / hood / and trunk in composite with rally flares. My stuff IS rusted out . . . .
Old 01-25-2000, 01:52 PM
ChuckH

Default What's wrong with...

...going with the 80/90 setup in front too? Seems like that would be easier, and you'd still get your ABS. What are the differences?

Didn't the Coupe already have a carbon fibre driveshaft? If not, that's another part you can pick up from the 90 series. It's probably more likely you'll get that to fit than an A4 shaft.

What are you doing for the exhaust?

Remember, I'm speaking out of my butt, since I've never done these conversion, but I find it interesting! :-) Have fun, and best of luck! Glad I'm not the one trying to figure out how to wire ABS in!

Charles
Old 01-25-2000, 02:43 PM
Todd W

Default Don't ask me!

I thought the A4 was the first one with a carbon driveshaft. This coupe is part steel and mostly rust. A little plastic, but zero composites (so far . I know that I don't want the 80/90 front subframe with the different swaybar. However, there are 2 issues with the struts; they don't have 5-lug hubs (may be fixable), and they use a smaller tie-rod end. The coupe uses the bigger tie-rods like the 5K.

The exhaust modification is just to route around a through-the-trunk-floor fuel cell, where the muffler currently resides. I think the best fix in this situation is a Supertrapp, despite the fact that they are rarely the best solution to anything from what I have gathered. For now it will just get a silenced tip instead of a rear muffler. I expect it will be loud, but amusingly enough - legal :-)

Gotta go meet Steve S. for dinner, he is in town for business tonight. Later,

Todd W
Old 01-25-2000, 03:08 PM
ChuckH

Default Well, according to your plan, you'd have...

...5 lug hubs on the front, and 4 lug hubs on the back! Or, am I missing something? :-)

I know the Coupe Quattro's had carbon fiber driveshafts, and my mechanic (who I trust very much) told me that my 90 had a carbon fiber shaft. However, I think it was a change that was made some time around '88 or '89, so maybe some are and some aren't. All I know is that they are steel on the outside and carbon fiber filled. My mechanic said the carbon fiber can break up inside and it will rattle in the tube, which basically means you're done! :-( So, if you get one, make sure it doesn't have pieces moving around inside!

That's pretty cool you get to have dinner with Steve S! Have a good time! :-)

Charles
Old 01-26-2000, 11:37 AM
Todd W

Default I just bought the tranny & rear diff (more)

I raced the same '00 S4 again last night, only now he has a Garret chip. I drove the car earlier and liked it a lot. It is an amazing car for off the lot a few bills in modified bytes. We launched hard, he dumped at 7K and I dumped at 5K. His clutch didn't grab, and my front wheels spun like mad. We were neck-in-neck until third gear, I blew a hose off of the IC and he walked away from me. It took me 10 minutes to find the hose and put the clamp back on.

The lessons learned are that a center Torsen would help the 5KTQ a lot, and he needs the APR aluminum flywheel with upgraded clutch. I am also still designing how to Home Depot my IC, now with some kind of retainers for the siliocn hoses - they just slip off too easily. Therefore I sent the money off today for the tranny with center Torsen, and the rear Torsen diff. Now I need to find a place to put them in.

Todd W
Old 01-28-2000, 09:44 AM
Jim

'91 CQ had carbon, '90 did NOT. (I believe)