New to the board/ 94 Audi Cabriolet Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the board/ 94 Audi Cabriolet Questions.

Hi All,
I am new to this board and this is my first post. I have a 94 Audi Cabriolet with a few annoying demons I thought some of you could help me out with. My car has about 160,000 miles on it and mechanically runs great, I just replaced the water pump, timing belt and tensioners and engine/transmission wise the car still feels really strong.

My problems are as follows:

Temperature gauge works intermittently, and I know it is not the thermostat (pulled it and tried a new one, but no change at the gauge), plus all the idiot lights work (the overtemp light came on when the water pump went), so I am not really in jeopardy of overheating, which makes this a lower priority fix. Has anyone seen a common fix (breaker reset, or something similar) that could make the gauge work again. If not how difficult would it be to replace this gauge.

Fuel Gauge has same problem as temp gauge. I have been just resetting the trip mileage everytime I fill up but again if there was an easy fix, I would be very interested.

The interesting thing on both of these gauges is after the recent water pump fix, both gauges worked again for a couple of hundred miles, does this make any sense to anyone?

How do you get to the light bulbs behind the HVAC controls below the radio. My car still has manual controls, (not auto climate control) and a few bulbs are dead, I was afraid to start digging around in the dash area until I knew a bit about what I am doing.

Lastly, how do you get to the Dash Speakers to replace them. I want to do a stereo upgrade this spring and replace the stock speakers with higher quality (same size) units. Anyone done this here who could pass on advice?

I look forward to reading this board regularly and if I can help out on anything in the future I will.

Thanks in advance.
Josh
Old 03-07-2001, 05:32 AM

Default I have a 94 cab too

with only 42 K miles. Black/ecru.
Old 03-07-2001, 06:05 AM

Default Re: I have a 94 cab too

Mine is Green/Black, Black Top. I wish I got the Ecru interior. Have you seen any of the problems I mentioned?

jec
Old 03-07-2001, 09:03 AM
ARK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If both gauges read incorrectly, at the same time, it is most likely the voltage regulator inside...

the instrument cluster. This regulator, typically a three terminal device which looks like a tab mounted power transistor, provides a regulated (9V typical) to the temp and fuel gauges, so their readings do not change with battery / system voltage. It is also possible there is a common ground problem for the instrument cluster. I will check my wiring diagrams.

To get at the bulbs for the manual climate controls, pull each of the three ***** straight off. This will then expose a couple of philips head screws. Remove these, and you can now pull the faceplate off. I think you can now get at the bulbs.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:31 AM

Default Re: ARK

thanks a lot for this info, it was exactly what I was looking for, I will follow up on it this weekend and let you know if it works.

Thanks again
JEC
Old 03-07-2001, 03:25 PM

Ours is Black/Ecru. However the black top does not go down. Does your top still operate by power or by manual? My wife hates the manual.
Old 03-07-2001, 03:37 PM

My top works just fine powerwise. The back window leaks water a bit though. Has anyone tried replacing it? Is it just a simple zipper in/out operation.

JEC
Old 03-07-2001, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speakers...

Pry the grill off with a screwdriver. They are just held on by some sort of glue. It's not very strong stuff, just pry until you can get a hold of the grille with your hands and then pull it out.

The speakers are held in by a screw on one side and the other side fits into little "holder". Remove the screw then pull the speaker out by removing the "screw" side first!!! Look around for replacment speakers...there are not very many speakers that will fit!!

Ditto ARK on the climate control light bulb procedure!!

Good Luck!!
---
Andrew
90 80q
91 90
95 90q
Old 03-08-2001, 05:19 AM

Default Re: Speakers...

Do you have any recommendations for speakers? I would really like to fit something into the stock holes.

Thanks,

Josh
Old 03-08-2001, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I found some...

..Kickers that dropped right in. But they were a previous years model and I don't think the new ones will fit.

I also think there are some Pioneers that will fit with some modification to the speaker.....<A href="http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-a6FEcXyStEY/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=51200&I=130TSG1045&o=M&a=0" ><B>Pioneers</B></A> For these to fit you need to clip off two of the four "ears" of the speaker.

These speakers are the same deal..<A href="http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-a6FEcXyStEY/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=51200&I=107DX4&o=M&a=0"><B> Polk's</B></A>

This is what I was told when I contacted Crutchfield..I was able to find my Kickers locally so I didn't need to get any of these speakers. I'd check with Crutchfield...they can find something that will fit (with slight speaker modification).

I'm sure others will have a few ideas as well!!

Good Luck!!
---
Andrew
90 80q
91 90
95 90q

Quick Reply: New to the board/ 94 Audi Cabriolet Questions.