The saga of the rattling catalytic converter continues!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-1999, 12:44 PM
Avery Ironside

Default The saga of the rattling catalytic converter continues!

Background: My 94 90CS auto has a rattling driver's side catalytic converter. My dealer in Toronto will charge me $3,000 to fix it. I had heard rumours about a recall notice regarding this exact problem, but they assured me I was wrong.<p>We join our fearless hero as he has acquired the official Audi of America recall notice to dealers and pays a visit to Queensway VW/Audi:<br>I went in and showed the recall notice to the service manager. He confirmed that my car fell inside the VIN range and did have the defective part installed and that I should be covered. He ran my VIN through the computer, but nothing came up. His reason; I have a Canadian market car. He told me it was between Audi of America and me and gave me the number of AOA's consumer advocate.<p>As we follow our protagonist, he has called Audi of America to complain:<br>I got on the phone with a consumer advocate. She confirmed that yes, I did have a defective part and it should be covered. She also said that Audi of America does not take care of cars sold in Canada. That is the responsibility of Volkswagen Canada.<p>Our martyr has now contacted Volkswagen Canada:<br>Volkswagen told me that there is no recall for these vehicles in Canada.<p>What I have confirmed so far:<br>a)Nobody denies that I have a defective part.<br>b)If owned this car in the USA I would have no problem.<br>c)If I moved to the USA tomorrow it would be fixed because it is to be repaired "regardless of selling dealer".<p>What I need to know:<br>a)Who actually imports Canadian Audi's?<br>b)Who will ultimately absorb the cost of this recall? Audi of America or Audi AG? If it's Audi AG then it shouldn't matter where the car was sold and I have a good case against AOA. If it's AOA then I have a good case against VW Canada because they have acknowledged that they sold me a faulty car but refuse to fix it. AOA even goes so far as to say "all possible efforts should be made to eliminate inconvenience to the consumer." I would assume VW Canada would wish the same.<p><br>Okay, I'm done ranting now.
Old 06-16-1999, 06:28 PM
Avery Ironside

Default The end: I win!

I was able to prove that AoA has jurisdiction in Canada for recalls and they called my dealer. Today they called me and said that I will recieve a new catalytic converter as a "good will" repair.
Old 06-20-1999, 08:04 PM
Paul McCue

Default Re: The end: I win!

Some time back I posted an E-mail with the exact same problem on a 1992 100CS. Can you tell me exactly which models that recall was meant to cover. I have had correspondence with AOA with zero sucess. They have told me that the only "good will" gesture I could get would be towards the purchase of a new vehicle. I would think that with a history of these problems a reputable company would step up to the plate and make good on a factory defect. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-1999, 11:46 PM
ChuckH

Default Only covers '93-'94 90 series, unless I missed another one. Regardless...

...here's the link to the campaign circulars where you would find this. You will need Acrobat reader to view. HTH! :-)<p>Charles<br><ul><li><a href="http://tech.vw.com/audi/96circ.htm">campaign circulars</a></li></ul>
Old 06-21-1999, 01:16 PM
Avery Ironside

Default If it makes you feel any better...

I have a problem with my ignition system. Sometimes when I turn my car on the electrical system doesn't come on as well. There is a recall for precisely this problem but it doesn't apply to me because, even thought my car is the right year and model, it is barely outside the applicable VIN range.
Old 06-21-1999, 02:42 PM
ChuckH

Avery, you are always just outside &quot;something&quot;, aren't you? :-)
Old 06-22-1999, 09:12 AM
Avery Ironside

At least they cured my car's potential to spontaneously combust, so I don't think Audi wants me dead... :-)
Old 06-22-1999, 07:49 PM
Paul

Default Re: Only covers '93-'94 90 series, unless I missed another one. Regardless...

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-24-1999, 10:55 AM
ChuckH

NOT YET! Just keep getting them to pay for things, and they may change their minds! :-)
Old 06-24-1999, 02:12 PM
Avery Ironside

All it would take would be a fake &quot;brake recall&quot; and they could make some modifications to knock me off for good! :-)

Quick Reply: The saga of the rattling catalytic converter continues!