Second addition to weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2000, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second addition to weird problem

This is McKay again, with a follow up to the problem that I posted yesterday:

As I stated previously, I have a 1995 90Sport with 62k. It has been a good car and a thrill to own, and I have full intention of staying in the Audi family for good. However, with that being said, my relationship with my Audi is quickly becoming a love hate relationship.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

As I stated, I noticed two months ago that after the car sat for more than a few hours, whenever I would turn the key in the ignition, the engine would turn over immediately, but NONE of the components in the car would activate (the A/C--I have the digital climate control--the window switches, the windshield wipers, the sunroof control, even the turn indicators would not work). I proceeded in turning the ignition to off, and started it again, and viola! Everything worked. This went on for weeks without exception, and every time the electronic components would not come on unless I turned the vehicle off and then restarted it after the first attempt. Unfortunately the problem progressed until a week ago, none of the components ever came on again. I tried starting it over and over again, but alas: nothing worked but the engine. I drove it to the mechanic, and the first thing we checked were the relays and the fuses; but everything was in order. The mechanic said that he could not get to it for a week, and so it took it home.

Well, when I got home yesterday (per the suggestions and other postings that I found on the Audi World Forum), I tried jiggling the key in the ignition switch, and sure enough, everything came back on. So I have placed an order for a new ignition switch from the local Audi dealer.

But as I drove the car to work today, I noticed that the A/C compressor wasn't coming on. All the fans worked and the digital climate control responded accordingly, but no cold air ever came out of the vents. Craziest thing, it worked fine before I parked it last week?!!! I know that if the charge on the freon drops below a certain level, the compressor won't kick on. But I have never had a leak in the system, and especially one that would drop its whole charge in five days. I checked the belts (I had just had it replaced six weeks ago with the timing belt) and they looked fine. The compressor head was turning with the belt. I tried the RECIRCULATE button (this always tells me if the compressor is kicking on, if it does not stay in RECIRCULATE mode, I know that there is a problem with the compressor) Accordingly, the RECIRCULATE mode disingaged immediately. Any suggestions?<p>Mckay
Old 09-07-2000, 09:16 AM
ARK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A kicked up rock may have punctured your condensor, no freon.
Old 09-07-2000, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default COULD be related to your...

..."flakey" ignition switch!! Replace that first than re-evalulate!!

I hope the switch fixes it!!
---
Andrew
95 90Q
91 90
90 80Q