What's Leaking? ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's Leaking? ...

Hello people!
Here is next dilema that my car offered me.
I noticed a month ago that there are some drops under my car when it stays in the garage for day or so. I went under it and i saw the final drive all wet and few drops formed at different places. The fluid is brown but not very dark - transparent looking.
I saw that the pipe for the AT fluid level check is all wet too and that it looked like the tranny was overfilled. The fluid level in the AT was 1 inch and a half above the top "dot". The fluid on the stick looks very clean and reddish. The level however has been like that for the last 6-7 months or more.(it didn't increase now) This is how i received the car after the tranny rebuilt. I thought that it's normal to be overfilled.
I checked for leaks under the car but i couldn't find the source. Before the rebuilt last year there was a leak between the final drive and the tranny. Now it does NOT seem to be leaking from there. Thre are drops of fluid on places that are far from this seal. Where it may be leaking from? Any ideas? Is it the tranny or the final drive leaking? BTW, i went to the Audi shop that did the rebuild and they drained some of the AT fluid so now the level is almost perfect. Still, there were two drops under the car this morning. Nothing has changed after the drain.
PLease help and give my any ideas what can be leaking? From where? Any Weak points/seals on the final drive/AT that are not visible and i can check? The Audi shop did the rebuild only 18k miles ago, is it possible to see leaks so soon??? The tranny shifts well so far.
I know that it's hard to diagnose a leak but just give me your best guess.

The car is Audi 100 '89 with 130k miles.
Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 08-06-2001, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hmm...

well, you could try pooring alittle bit of water on the liquid to see if its an oil or not. (If it rainbows, its oil based)

But unfortunetly alot of the car uses oil based liquids.

Check all your fluid levels, brake, coolant, oil, ATF, power steering.
If nothing seams to be loosing fluid, then its probably differential.