This is for you electrical wizards out there...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2001, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is for you electrical wizards out there...

OK, I just got this OEM fog light switch for my 5000. I have these generic foglights on my car and I want to be able to use the OEM switch instead of the crappy one that came with the lights. Problem is that the back of the OEM switch has eight(four rows of two) prong connectors while my original one has three single prongs connections. How would I go about getting this to work? Do I need some sort of special harness that will fit in the OEM switch and splice that into the existing wires(red,black,white)? Or am I **** out of luck...as you can tell electronics are not my strong point...any help would be appreciated.

Steve Ankney
Old 01-27-2001, 06:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You'll first need to figure out what the 8 connectors do....

which one supplies 12V+ to the switch, which are outputs to the lamp, maybe there's a ground. I can't imagine what the other 5 are for Perhaps they are not used.
You could play around with a 12V source and a small bulb, and see if you can deduce which connector does what. (Don't forget to fuse the wire in case you short it out) Are there tiny numerals embossed by the connectors? there is a DIN standard, so the numbers may give some info as to how the switch works.
The other question is how to mechanically connect the switch to your fog light.
Rather than trying to find a matching connector(probably hard to get and expensive,) i would just make up my own. Get female clips to fit on the connectors of the switch, and wire them to your fog light wires.
Old 01-28-2001, 02:28 PM

Default Re: This is for you electrical wizards out there...

Probably want to use the switch to activate a relay, rather than the voltage to the lights themselves. Gets a bit hairy, but find a local electrical auto house and see if they can't help you with parts.

The circuitry is simple, and a great lesson...good luck.