Motorcycles Discussion Discussion forum for our two-wheeled friends

Would topping out 6th gear on a front tire with 12 psi in it be classified as stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would topping out 6th gear on a front tire with 12 psi in it be classified as stupid?

So I've been pushing wide in turns of late and I honestly couldn't figure out why the bike felt so sketch carving up the corners. After a couple of days I checked the tire pressure only to find there was all of 12 psi up front!

Saying my graces and praising my good fortune that nothing bad happened when I cracked the R1 open on a closed road a few days ago.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default at that speed the centrifugal force can actually "depress" the valve stem deflating the tire

hence the 90 degree stem you see on many fast bikes. the tire wouldn't need air at that speed either. It's getting up to and down from that speed that's dangerous.

You gots to check that **** more often bro. what else have you been neglecting?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My throat aids... I need to buy some Cold-FX... that stuff is the *******.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:45 PM

Default LOL! "Wouldn't need air"?!?!? RIDICULOUS *shaking head*.

He's INCREDIBLY lucky to even be alive...seriously. A R1 would top out at around 174mph. At that speed there is an insane amount of heat generated in the tire due to contact friction with the pavement. At only 12psi that heat is multiplied MANY times over. I'm assuming this was just a quick run up to redline that took around 30-45 seconds because any significant length of time at that speed, and at the corresponding heat due to the underinflated tire, you run the extreme risk of deforming the tire to the point it seperates from the rim. Losing the tire off your rim at 170+mph = extremely dead. Your statement was completely FALSE. Please be careful of the information you give out if you're not 100% sure of it.

I do agree that Mini needs to check his tire pressure regularly. If I'm commuting 6 days a week I check it every 3-4 days. If I'm going on an extended ride I check it before and at every other gas stop. Be careful, man!
Old 06-17-2008, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would consider that tire ruined. Play it safe and get a new front

At that air pressure, you could easily pinch the edge of the tire. There could be damage inside that you'll never see until the tread lets go at high load. I killed a tire on my old CB750 dropping down to around 15lbs. When the tire came off there was a groove inside and wear marks from rubbing against the rim surface. Not worth risky IMO
Old 06-17-2008, 10:36 AM

Default Not a bad idea. Hopefully the tire was fairly new...

...if not, buy a new set. What brand/model of tires are they? I actually have a Bridgestone front sitting around somewhere.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Even with properly inflated tires, I don't see how going 170+ on a bike could be anything but stupid

that takes my breath away just thinking about it.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:52 AM

Default Oh, it is. Though if you have the capability it's hard to resist...

...and I'm not going to pretend like I haven't done it a handful of times, but I can easily admit it was incredibly stupid. It's the adrenaline rush that makes it worthwhile for that minute or so. It sounds like a friggin' freight train in your helmet if you pop like 2 inches out of full tuck position...which what I enjoyed the least.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Eh, I'll probably top it out once

and then never again if i make it.

I'm more scared by hearing things like "this guy took me 120mph on the back of his bike one time!" - my gf.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 AM

Default Under no circumstances would I attempt it with a passenger...

...that is ridiculously irresponsible, to say the least. It's one thing to put your own life at risk, but risking the life of your passenger (especially a loved one) is completely unacceptable. I hope she dumped that guy immediately afterwards.

BTW, I don't recommend anyone exceed the speed limit ever. It IS stupid, unfortunately. We need a lot more accessible tracks to ride on.

Quick Reply: Would topping out 6th gear on a front tire with 12 psi in it be classified as stupid?