Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

5 Point Racing harness. Y, or H? anybody put one in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-1999, 07:22 AM
Dean Benz

Default 5 Point Racing harness. Y, or H? anybody put one in?

I like the 3" belts, and they look like they will hold better than the Scroth 4 point. Any first hand experience?<p>I don't know which will get around the Headrests better, or mount better the H, or Y.<p>It appears from the Summit racing catalog that I can get either of two brands for both front seats for the price of one Scroth 4 point???<p>Am I mistaken, and other hardware or such is required that will bring the 5 Point's cost up?<p>Thanks
Old 03-23-1999, 08:24 AM
Terry D

Default Re: 5 Point Racing harness. Y, or H? anybody put one in?

The biggest problem (for a street car) is the sub strap(s) mounting and keeping them out of the way when moving the seat.<p>I think the "Y" will fit thru the headrest if the length is right, as the "H" tends to fall off the sides of the seats.
Old 03-24-1999, 01:05 PM
Cathleen

Default Re: Racing harness

I have the TRW Sabelt 5 point H-style. This works great if you have a racing seat with belt slots. I must agree that on a stock seat, it will annoyingly slip off the sides when it is not fastened together. It's the same belt the Audi Touring cars use.<br>The only major consideration you have to make is the installation of a 5 or 6 pt. harness vs. the 4 point (like Schroth's). The 5 and 6 pts. require you to remove the seat and properly drill holes and fasten the 5th or 5&6th point to the floor underneath.<br>Not difficult for those of you who know how to properly and safely do it......but not so easy/safe for the weekend do-it-yourselfer.<br>-C.
Old 03-25-1999, 12:20 PM
Jim Simone

How does the TRW 5-point anchor in the rear? Did you use the rear seat belt points or were you more creative? What sort of anchor did you use for the 5th point up front?<p>I was talking with the guys at a racing shop; they wanted to attach the rear straps to a steel bar either along the inside of the roof or just behind the rear seats (connected at the mounts for the outboard rear seat belts). For the 5th point they proposed using a u-bolt attached to the existing seat hardware.<p>Since that sounds like overkill, I'm debating whether to go instead with the Schroth for ease of installation. Since the stock (sport) seats aren't well suited to the 5 or 6 point belts (no slot for the sub strap, etc.), I wonder how much more functional it would be.<p>This is in light of the fact that I'm probably going to be attending just some high performance driving schools and maybe auto-x for the time being.<p>Jim
Old 03-25-1999, 01:50 PM
Cathleen

For ease, you may opt for a Schroth 4 pt. In either case, most people have been using the rear seat belt anchors. This is dangerous for tall people. If your shoulders are above the seat back and your straps then descend downward to the anchor points, you risk very serious spinal compression in an accident.<br>That said, I'm short so my shoulders are well below the seat back and using the rear seatbelt anchors does not pose a risk to me.<br>For the front/5 pt., the seat was removed, carpet cut and it was bolted directly to the subframe of the car. If you used a seat bracket and it failed, you'd be in serious trouble as well.<br>Not sure if that is what you meant by "u-bolt attached to the existing seat hardware", however.<br>I've seen some people who used carabeeners (spell?) for attaching things. Oh, no,no,no. This is soooooo dangerous. These items were never tested and designed to withstand the g-forces of a crash.<br>I'd like to develop a better method than using the rear seatbelt anchors for our street cars. I'm hoping that the race/tuner shop I'm affiliated with can come up with something. The best/safest thing is really to have (at a minimum) a center roll hoop installed, but that isn't very street/luxury friendly. <br>After all that......my only suggestion is to go with the Schroth is you want ease. Then, try to figure out how to keep your attach points level or higher than your shoulders & seat back.<br>Best of Luck. Let us know how it goes.<br>-Cathleen<p>
Old 03-25-1999, 01:56 PM
Cathleen

Default P.S.

If you do decide to go with the rear seat belt anchors for now and we do come up with a better attach point option, I'll let you know.<br>-C.<br>
Old 03-25-1999, 02:36 PM
Jim Simone

Default Re: Racing harness, etc.

Thanks for all the comments, Cathleen!<p>Fortunately, like you, I'm fairly short (5'7") and my shoulders are below the seat back. So, using the rear seatbelt anchors probably wouldn't be too much of a risk.<p>I was also a bit dubious regarding the racing shop's solution for the 5th point anchor. Unfortunately, they really had no experience with Audis and were unsure where to drill and bolt.<p>So, I guess for the time being I'll just use the Schroth harness anchored at the rear seatbelt points. But, I'd certainly appreciate any innovations that you and your shop come up with.<p>Jim
Old 03-25-1999, 06:04 PM
Mike Zamarocy

Default What about the Schroth 3 point?

Is that safe to use? And as long as I bolt all 3 points to the existing seat belt anchors, shouldn't that be ok?
Old 03-26-1999, 05:47 AM
Terry D

I use the Schroth four-point 'cuz:<p>1. easy to install<br>2. easy to use, even for daily use (I prefer to be firmly attached, yes I drive fast around corners!)<br>3. "extra" buckle lets you use the back seat (as long as you keep the stock seat belt).<br>4. runs thru the headrest, doesn't fall off the sides of the stock seats.<p>Besides, there's nothing like picking up someone new, watching their eyes widen when you buckle up, and then say, "hey, buckle up, there's something I've always wanted to try....)
Old 03-26-1999, 05:51 AM
Terry D.

Default Full install of harness

I was considering fabricating a mounting that would fasten inside the trunk, behind the seats, at the rear shelf level, for attaching the harness. The "H" belts could exit either side of the rear headrest, or you could leave the rear seat back down....

Quick Reply: 5 Point Racing harness. Y, or H? anybody put one in?