Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

5 Point Racing harness. Y, or H? anybody put one in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-1999, 09:09 AM
Cathleen

Default Schroth 3 point?

Do you mean that it would have 2 shoulder harnesses that come together in a Y and attach to one of the rear seatbelt anchors? If not, what is the hookup point? <br>Hmmm, I've never seen one of these, only the 4 points hooked up. The two rear seatbelt anchors are about a foot or so apart. If you used one of them for your hookup, wouldn't that bias your one belt attachment to one side or another?<br>-C.<br>
Old 03-26-1999, 10:47 AM
Jim Simone

Default Re: Full install of harness

Sounds like what the race shop guys were thinking of. Let me know if you get something to work. For now I expect just to use the rear seatbelt anchors.<p>Jim
Old 03-26-1999, 10:51 AM
Jim Simone

Default Re: Racing harness

Another advantage of the Schroth, I was told, is that it's DOT approved. This way you have some recourse if the highway patrol decides they don't like your "non-standard" belts. :-)<p>Jim
Old 03-26-1999, 11:53 AM
Cathleen

Default Considered this but...

it wouldn't work for me. I have the absolutely longest belt that TRW Sabelt makes and it won't reach quite that far. Strangely, it is just a little further than if you go down to the seatbelt anchors. Just a little too far. I'm about 5'4" so I have the seat almost all the way forward which eats up a huge amount of the belt length.<br>It may work for you guys since you don't have the seat up as far. Keep in mind that I am not advising anything but I would also be very careful how/what you fabricate for this decklid attachment. Our other reasoning for not chosing this point is that the hookup point must be as strong as the seatbelt anchors are. Those are bolted into the subframe. Now, you must consider if the rear decklid is strong enough to handle the g-forces if you were to bolt on seatbelt anchors to the underside. If you did this anyway, it defintely wouldn't be good to put the seats up.<br>It just doesn't look that safe, IMO. As an FYI, SCCA rules require that the belts are wrapped and anchored to the mid bar on the main hoop of the roll cage and the main hoop must be located no more than 10" from the back of the seat. For safety reasons and to avoid spinal compression issues they say the attach points should be above shoulder and no more than 10" back. <br>Believe me, this is an ongoing dilemma for me. I need to get it resolved soon, since I do enough of these track events. Also, in the events I've attended lately, they are now starting to require that the driver and passenger have equal level restraints (i.e. both you and passenger use racing harness or just factory belts). So, I would definitely need an alternative to the rear seatbelt anchor points for a taller passenger.<br>-C.
Old 03-26-1999, 01:03 PM
Terry D

Default Re: Considered this but...

I meant to fabricate a full mount, i.e., a small roll hoop mounted in appropriately.<p>I am 5'9", and have the seat almost all the way back, so the Sabelt harness would work for me.
Old 03-26-1999, 01:04 PM
Terry D

At that point, you're probably SOL anyway............
Old 03-26-1999, 01:48 PM
Cathleen

Default sounds good

You are lucky to have the option. I wish I could grow about 4 more inches. ;-)<br>-C.
Old 03-26-1999, 01:53 PM
Terry D

Default "personal growth"

Good News: I've grown four inches over the last few years.<p>Bad News: It was the diameter of my waist!
Old 03-26-1999, 02:43 PM
Jim Simone

Default Ahh, but one can always hope... :-)

:-)
Old 03-26-1999, 02:54 PM
Jim Simone

Default Re: roll hoop

If you can fabricate a full mount and manage to maintain the asthetics of the interior, I'd really like to hear how you did it.<p>The idea of mounting a small hoop appeals to me but I really didn't want our daily driver to look like a racer (just yet). :-)<p>Jim

Quick Reply: 5 Point Racing harness. Y, or H? anybody put one in?