Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Advice requested - massive rubber pickup on track tires - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice requested - massive rubber pickup on track tires - what to do?

Have a problem and looking for advice. I did a track weekend and got Massive (with a capital M) rubber build up on my track tires that doesn't want to come off.

Details...

- Tires are Falken RT-615s

- This was my third track weekend with them and they were fine for the other two.

- This weekend was at Thunderhill and it was Hot - 95-100 both days. Plus there was an ARC race both days so some full up race cars (incl Vettes and Vipers) on race rubber.

- I heard ***** of rubber hitting the underside of the car late Sat. when I went off line to pass/be passed. Saw some buildup end of day Sat. but didn't feel anything.

- Sunday morning was fine, afternoon sessions big vibration that felt like pickup, but it wouldn't go away. Back on street tires, and car is fine, so it was the track tires.

- Now lots of buildup on the tires and it's vulcanized on. Tried using a hardcore window opening tool to scrape off and no luck.

Anyone have this problem and have a good solution for getting it off? Does using a blowtorch work - as seen on the races on TV? Drive around on the streets for a while (doesn't seem safe somehow)? Go do an AX on them?

Give up on a half used set of value priced Falkens (cost of doing business)? Was thinking of bailing on the street set/track set concept anyway. Changing tires twice in three days in 95 degree heat will do that to you. Thinking of going to Falken 452s as a street & track tire. I'm in San Francisco, so no snow, just rain.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default As you mentioned a putty knife and propane torch work pretty well.

Heat tire with torch in a sweeping motion and scrap off rubber. Careful with the torch and keep it moving. Drive on them a little afterwards and then re-balance.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you have an extra worn set of tires you can go out and run a couple laps on to pick up the

rubber, that'll help prevent the problem.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I found a big parking lot at night and drove in circles till the car started to slide..

then kept it at the limit for about 10 sec. then did the same thing the other direction. Then I'd get out and look at the tires, it took about 15min to clean off the tires.
I would just be carefull security or the cops don't hassle you!
Old 06-26-2008, 11:32 AM
CP

Default Why bother?

If they're track-only tires, it should all come off after several laps at speed. Could it be that you've flat-spotted one or more of those tires, which is the actual source of the vibration?

Yes, a torch and paint scraper will work, but it takes forever. I did it last winter to four hand-me-down tires and I'll never do it again. Took about an hour per tire. However they had not yet been mounted and balanced, so I was worried about getting a good initial balance. Your tires have already been balanced, so you won't have this issue.

I've used those tires at lapping days before and on a heavy car they're pretty awful as far as heat management goes. Mine got slick after 5 summertime laps on a 3200# AWD turbo.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I run the falken as well and at some events I get a fair amount of pick-up....

I just think of it as a re-tread for the drive home :-) Which will usually clean most of the front tires off. Then for the next event I rotate the tires from front to back and that takes care of the other two. If your changing tires at the track.. well I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Mine do that too. Thump thump thump :-)

doesn't hurt anything. Try to stay out of the marbles:-). A couple of hot laps will clean them right up anyway.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:16 PM

Default I had a LOT of pickup on a set of v710's I bought a while back...

with the bad ones on the front, all pickup was gone after 2 autocross runs.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I almost spun out the first lap (warm-up) at the next event due to it on my 615s. scrub 'em in

NASCAR style

or F1 style if you have the power.

normal, for just about any tire used on the track.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:03 AM

Default get the tires hot, and it'll all come right off

go drive through death valley or something -- you'll hear it come off and hit your fender linings.