Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Any impressions of Bieffe Helmets, in particular the F1-GPV

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any impressions of Bieffe Helmets, in particular the F1-GPV

Personally I think this helmet is rather cool looking, and can almost already picture a paint job. But my main concern is still safety, so I'm hoping to hear about the quality of Bieffe products versus Simpson, Bell, OMP, Arai, Shoei, etc.

I'm trying to buy a helmet, and unfortunately am having a lot of trouble finding a place that stocks a bunch of different brands/models for me to try on. If anybody knows of anything in the NY/NJ area let me know.<ul><li><a href="http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/autosnellsa/f1gvp">F1GPV Helmet</a></li></ul>
Old 02-20-2004, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

if u have a wide head...it wont fit...
Old 02-21-2004, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Dont understand why they don't have hat sizes...

in my experience, the 1/4 hat sizes are absolutely critical to good fit. It's not like a suit which doesn't matter if it's loose, a large part of the protection is in the FIT of the thing.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:26 PM

Default I have two of them but .....

.....the size large is a perfect fit. In most cases folks have trouble getting the proper fit on a Bieffe due to their limited sizes (S,M,L).

In my case I was lucky as it fit perfectly. The only other helmet I have ever used is the Bell M3 and it was also a great helmet but I liked the color pattern on my Wurz F1 helmet.

My cousin has an Arai helmet which I tried on and it fit perfectly and was much lighter than the Bieffe but then again he paid $2000 for it.

Try them all on. Nothing worse than finding out during a race that the helmet is either so tight your vision is fading or it's so loose you staring at the rear headliner.

Regards,

Jon

#44 Grand Am Cup Acura
#44 BMW M5 Club Racer
# 2 Spec Racer Ford
Old 02-21-2004, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default any ideas on how to find a place to try them on?

The closest I have found in either Palm Beach County Florida or NJ or NYC (and surrounding areas) are places that sell one brand of helmet and don't have any in stock that you can try on.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default sometimes tracks have on-site race shops with a variety of helmets...

and you might actually try a NASA or SCCA weekend and politely ask folks if you can try on their helmet (not so crazy).

Also...if you are EVER going to wear a ballaclava, for cryin' out loud...remember to wear it when you try on the helmet! Nothing worse then a nice snug fit on your bare head and then you put the head sock on and squeeze your head into your now too tight helmet.

If you look on Simpson's site, it tells you how to get your hat size and some helmets literature may say what size their standard sizes equate to:<ul><li><a href="http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/catalog/helmets/helmetsizing.asp">hat sizes.</a></li></ul>
Old 02-21-2004, 10:27 PM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bieffe is the ONLY mfr I found to offer XL and XXL for fatheads like me!

Bell discontinued their fathead sizes several years ago.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Elder Member

Ditto, Bieffe in XXL here!
Old 02-22-2004, 02:50 PM

Default And, on the other end of the spectrum, they offer an XS

that fits me! I've tried on many of the others, and the XS (if offered) were too big.

I have the Bieffe F1 which is a similar lid w/o aero (i race closed cockpit vehicles, so that doesn't make a diff) and have been happy with its fit and wear. I've had mine for 3 years or so. I'll need a new one sometime this year (mine's an SA95), and may end up going back with Bieffe for the fit.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:54 PM

Default Bieffe is financially in the dumps...

So there's a closeout sale @ OGRacing for the FL-GPV. Just have an XL or XXL head and you're good!<ul><li><a href="http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/home.asp?categ=190">http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/home.asp?categ=190</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Any impressions of Bieffe Helmets, in particular the F1-GPV