Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Anyone have experience at the track with PS2's? Specifically, tire pressures?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have experience at the track with PS2's? Specifically, tire pressures?

any help/experience would be greatly appreciated.

So far, I'm leaning towards 36psi for LRP.

TIA,
Old 06-01-2007, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I start with 36 or 37 and then monitor based on how warm it is...

On a warm day here in CA the track can get up to 100-120 easily (late spring/early fall... the summer is even worse) and your tires will heat up very fast. They usually get up to 44 after a session. It's always good to check your pressure before and after each run. It also depends on your time between runs and whether your car is covered or not (garage or tent or awning). Tire pressure is most critical on the fronts. If it's too low you'll burn out your sidewall very quickly (I speak from experience... turn 2 at Laguna Seca).
Old 06-01-2007, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks...
Old 06-01-2007, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'd drop them 5-7psi less than what you do on the street. you'll pick that back up on the track.

after you drive home from work, check them and see that they're probably around 40 hot.

you want to match that (~40) hot number. to do that, after each session, right after you pull in with the ebrake off and stuff a wheel chuck under a wheel, lower them down to 40 hot all around.

if you want the car to rotate more, drop the fronts a little more.

you'll probably find that the tires are all over the place with a RF really high and a LR really low compared to the other two or something like that. keep that in mind when adjusting after later sesssions.

also, put white shoe polish over the sidewall/tread to check if you're rolling over and have them too low.

and, measure the wear. if you're wearing out the center faster, then you have them too high.

bottom line: if you're using them at 36-38psi on the street when cold, then I'd probably start them at 30 in the fronts and 32 in the rears.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:26 AM
CP

Default Skip the shoe polish

I was just clued into all the little triangles on the edge of the tire at the point where the manufacturer would consider the tire is rolling over. Take a look for them, because the shoe polish is a pain in the *** to get off once it's dried on to the tires.

I've got the Falkan Azenis RT-615 (new to me this year) and they seem content to run at 36-37 psi hot on the track. This means they want to start around 28psi cold in the morning. I keep them at about 31psi cold for street driving. But they heat up so much at the track that they need to be started at a lower pressure than I would have thought.

Too bad these tires start to get slick after 5-8 hard laps. I have to be careful not to overdrive them. I'm beginning to think about a spare set of wheels with r-comps might be a good idea. I've got about 25 track days under my belt and think it's about time to make the switch.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default My 'little triangles' are long gone :) As you know, the tires are rolling quite a bit

I was hoping someone had more experience with this and could recommend a good starting point.

Cheers,

Peter
Old 06-01-2007, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Thanks for the tip. I'll try it at LRP next week. I think I may try even pressure all-around

as I had a few tank slappers last time there

Are you going too?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:44 AM
CP

Default General consensus is shoot for 40psi hot.

And if they're not rolling over at that pressure, drop a pound or two after each session until you see wear on the tire edge where you'd like it to be. It sounds like you've been using too little pressure. Could you feel them rolling over?

Or buy a probe-type pyrometer like I just did. It's the new toy I'll be playing with next week at Lime Rock ;^) Come say hi. I'll be in the black and grey Mitsu Galant VR4.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Will do...

But I think I'll probably see you at Ironmasters

As you know, I like the tire overall, especially day to day. Excellent performance. But on the track, the sidewalls seem soft. Getting pressure right has been a challenge, especially due to my laziness
Old 06-01-2007, 05:11 PM
CP

Default My buddy with a B5 Avant hates those tires too.

He'll be there next week parked next to me at the track. He said the same thing...sidewalls are too soft. It's more of a highway tire from what I've read.

I'm not going to make tech at Ironmasters on Thursday. I've got a corner balance appointment Thursday afternoon north of Boston in Peabody, then have to go home to pack the car. I hope I make it down there by 10pm 8^(

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience at the track with PS2's? Specifically, tire pressures?