Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Back in the racing saddle..Thinking about brakes and such for TWS...Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-1999, 07:52 AM
Amro

Default Back in the racing saddle..Thinking about brakes and such for TWS...Ideas?

Well, I'm going to TWS. House purchase didn't drain me as bad as I thought. I even have some money for maybe some new brakes. With the event less than a month away, what should I do as far as brakes? What comination of pads/rotors/fluid would you do? I got to the point of experiencing brake fade at the last event. Yes yes I've searched the archives, but like the web, information OVERLOAD.

I want to buy/order before this weekend.

Thanks in advance :-)
Amro
Old 09-27-1999, 09:19 AM
Todd W

Default You should mention a price point

It's all a matter of money . . .

As for me, Vortrag is supposed to be coming out with a 4-piston kit that uses stock rotors and fits under 15" wheels (cheaper track tires). However, that won't be available this week. No matter, I don't have the money yet ;(

Have you talked to JayP about the event?

Todd W
Old 09-27-1999, 01:15 PM
Amro

Default I'll try and contact him tonight

I said NT dammit!
Old 09-27-1999, 06:16 PM
DAVID WILLIAMS

Default Re: I'll try and contact him tonight

Hey Amro, What's been going on.
I moved from Arlington to Houston, wait, I had just moved to Houston on the last event when I saw you last. Anyway I was planning on going again, but like you I'm buying a house as well. Did closing half way today (9/27), I signed the papers, but the seller didn't like how the figures looked. So he going to have them looked over again. Serious nightmare. Anyway if things go right this week I should have enough to go to the event again. As far as breaks I switched to Raybestos pads, they are harder than stock, but I think they stop better, less dust also. Some people have had squeeking problems, they do squeek on me from time to time, you might have better luck. Life time warranty also. Good luck. Hope I see you at TSW. You won't get to rum me down this time.

DW
Old 09-28-1999, 03:09 AM
Geza

Default I've got the following:

ATE slotted rotors ($110)
Porterfield R4 racing pads ($160)
ATE Blue ($25)

This is a track only setup (except the fluid) that I will be trying at Watkins Glen a week from now. I'll let the forum know how they worked.

How did I arrive at this setup?

Needed to use stock rotors as I run 15" wheels with my track tires.

Slotted rotors have better heat capacity than drilled rotors (drilling removes too much mass from the rotor) and cleans up the pad surface better.

Choose the Porterfield race pads, because that is sort of what I'm doing, right? Racing. And since they are for the track only, why make the comprimise for street/track pads. They are sooo easy to swap out.

Wanted to get the FORD heavy duty fluid, but none of the dealers around had it. I'll try the ATE; it worked pretty well last year in my 200q 20V.