Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Car-to-car contact in american motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK maybe a lil harsh.. I hear that they actually race on the west coast in PCA events>>

on the East it's more like gentlemenly lapping days at half pace....and they still wreck all by themselves
Old 06-28-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Sounds like I might even do well if go PCA!

I'm happy when I crack the top half of the field in SM, but I definitely go full pace.

I've also been known wreck all by myself, so I'd fit in that way too
Old 06-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Elder Member

Default SCCA open wheel is much better,

Forumula Ford, Continental, and Atlantic in particular are relatively civilized. These classes have very few drivers with reckless reputations.

Formula Mazda is another story. Many of these drivers seem to care less about the extensive damage that usually results from wheel-to-wheel contact, but cash is often a contigency prize and many rent the cars.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:51 AM

Default I don't think that's how 13/13 works

You're not sent home.

If the contact is your fault, you're put on probation for 13 months; if there's another incident within your probation period, you're suspended for 13 months.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Supposedly your weekend is over if found to be at fault for an incident.

And you can either be put on probation or suspended for up to 13 months. If you are suspended for 13 months, you lose your license and need to go through the approval process all over again.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default maybe because

it seems like the availability of rental miatas makes some of the folks treat the cars as disposables... the IT folks seems to bump and rub sometimes but we are so polite compared to some of those spec racer miata folks it's amazing...

went looking for you after pig roast, you brake too early in turn 3 I think otherwise, good driving.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: maybe because

Spec miata is rough and tumble but it's a subset of "crashers" that do the most damage, not the renters. The low cost of repairs (or simply running again while all banged up) does contribute.

There's a big dust-up on the spec miata board over the ITA races (which several SMs ran) and some contact resulting in protests. Seems the ITA guys thought the ITA-SM drivers were overly aggressive. And I don't doubt it's true.

Was I slow in 3? I passed the #14 car about 3 times there on saturday, but could never make it stick. Maybe the 100 lbs over minimum weight is the problem. Or just the fact that I'm not that fast???? Oh so close but I did not crack the top half of the field either day - 16th of 30 on sat and 17th of 30 on sun. But I did come through the weekend completely dent free, so I'm not complaining. I'm faster (relatively speaking) at Lime Rock anyway - looking forward to aug 5-6. Will you be there?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default slow?

Not slow - others faster? Some of those SM's are really fast

The IT group was 'B' - I have a couple friends which ran that group, usually they just embarass me when they run with ITS (my poor slow car) and some did get nicely pinged by some Miata's ... it's a funny set of cars to mix and I think that's a big part of the problem. Those cars are small (short in height) from inside some of those IT cars

BTW Dent free is good, very good

LRP in Aug? - don't think so... There's the enduro coming up at NHIS I wanna do and another double later in Sept - the Glen sprints is the end of July and can you believe, I'm registered...
Old 07-18-2005, 06:05 AM

Default Will the sprints be you're first return to the Glen ...

... since, well, you know, since 'that' day? Good luck!

In-laws are visiting that weekend so while I'd really really really like to go (it's hard to express just how much I'd like to go), it would cause great domestic discord. Have fun. I am planning to do the NHIS enduro and the Glen enduro in October, hopefully to a better outcome.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yes... back on the horse

I'm working towards the Enduro, the co-driver I had lined up is off to Europe (silly man)

Oct at the Glen seems to be in the plans as well, at least for the guys what share the trailer with me so that means my car wants to go...

Quick Reply: Car-to-car contact in american motorsports