Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Congrats to John/TSR =)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congrats to John/TSR =)

All the other SSC teams had to fork over their money this weekend since John Walsh and John Williamson took 1st place in class for the fourth year in a row at the 12 hour at Summit =)

I think we finished 19th overall, so that's in the top half. Not bad for what should be a "slow" car.

They could have renamed this event "12 hours of being harassed by Miatas" and it would have been more than appropriate.

Warren
Old 06-03-2002, 06:43 AM

Default Congrats from the Miata harassers of the West Coast!

In preparation for Bryon's race in the Mazda SpeedCup at Laguna this coming weekend, we spent this past weekend learning the finer art of race car painting.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sharon, the Miatas are running this weekend, at the CART event?......

maybe I do need to pass on a mountain trip trout fishing.
I'd really like to see you all compete.

Hmmmmmmm?? 8-)
Old 06-03-2002, 07:57 AM

Default Yup, Spec Miata is a support race at the CART event

Just think.... ~72 miatas heading into Turn 2 ....

Bryon is campaigning the (newly painted) #44 Miata. Corey and I will be playing crew.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I would go on Friday, FREE passes at ALL Shell gas stations, for Friday fyi.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

so what do you use? Krylon?
Old 06-03-2002, 10:15 AM

Default Ha, you wouldn't believe how much Krylon we removed from the car though!

I think we had the ugly duckling of the SM crowd up here. But, it's pretty now :-)

We'll get some pics up after this weekend when it's all decked out (and hopefully before the race and before there are any more "love taps" on it) :-)
Old 06-03-2002, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when is the race? I've been invited by FedEx to attend. I asked for Saturday only
Old 06-03-2002, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Race report....(and how did the AW'ers do at STPR ?)

Yikes...what a 12 Hour !

Top three cars in SSC were all within a lap at the finish. Fast race laps of those three were within a few tenth's/sec. of each other. Clearly the closest race group of the weekend. John and I drove our asses off for 12 hours. Of 49 starters, the 1-2-3 SSC cars finished 19th-20th-21st. Overall win was to a Porsche Supercup GT3 (?), but his only real competition (Al DuPont, Neal Sapp, etc. in DuPont's Speed Channel / World Challenge BMW) dropped out with problems at about the 3 hour mark.

Thanks to Warren and all our crew guys - we've developed a loyal following of crew, mostly because they know we won't embarrass them by losing. Since all the cars were so equal, we won it based on pit stops and fuel/tire management. Flawless stops all day - also may have set a new 'team best' for a stop with brake pad change.

Thanks to Kumho Tires USA Motorsports Group, who were trackside doing tire support all weekend. ALL the SSC cars were running Kumho's, so we had complete parity on rubber. Perfect. We threw two fronts on every stop (every 110-115 minutes), and we never burned through to the metal belts on any tire (not like we do at Moroso). We've also gotten the car loose enough to cord rears on a regular basis - we changed more rears than ever before. Tires were perfect all race long. Big thanks to Rudy Consolacion and Mike Taylor of Kumho USA and Vilven Tire.

Ringers, Ringers, Ringers. We knew everyone in the class had big bullseyes painted on our backs before we got to the track, but we didn't know how big until we pulled into the paddock on Friday afternoon. The two-car Empire Motorsports team had both car owners (SCCA Nat'l competitors and Neon Challenge Pro series regulars) AND 2 more Neon Pro series guys, PLUS a driver out of SV World Challenge AND a guy we know from the Grand-Am series. The Grand-Am guy told the Empire guys that the only reason he'd signed up with them was for the express purpose of kicking MY ***. Teehee. Nothing more fun than having an elevated level of yapping before the race even starts. We contributed more. Teehee. This was gonna be fun.

We found out what pit spaces the Empire guys had picked, and we picked the pit RIGHT NEXT TO THEM, mostly just to annoy them. It worked. More yapping. Teehee.

SSC cars qualified right in a pack, so we all boogeyed off together at the green. I was starting driver, so I got to swing sharp elbows and pick my way thru traffic on the first few laps. I'm sure we led the first 105 minutes, as all the Neons had to stop for fuel about 15 minutes sooner than us. Our car, the Empire #84 car and the 5-Star Motorsports car traded the lead over the next 11 hours, depending on pit stop sequencing. We might had a lap or two in-hand for the last 4 hours, but both the Empire cars and the 5-Star cars caught a full-course yellow right at the fuel window, which occured 2 laps after we'd made a stop. Crap.

I was in the car for the last shift, from 10:20pm till the checker at midnight. The #84 Empire car (owner driving) and I had a great little battle from about 10:30 til about 11:00, using traffic to set 'picks' for each other swapping the lead regularly, which was actually for the class lead. They had to make another fuel stop, so we knew we had them wrapped up. We didn't realize just how close the 5-Star guys were to us at the finish. Congrats to Joe Leonard and Bill Cuttitta of 5-Star, for soldiering on thru 3 years of really crappy luck at the 12 Hour (most of that bad luck not of their own doing !) and a really strong 2nd place finish. If we'd know you were that close, we wouldn't have been trying to save fuel in the last 30 minutes (we had maybe 5-10 minutes of gas left at the checker !).

A big razzberry to the Empire guys. You owe us $20. See you at Lime Rock in three weeks for the NER 3 Hour. The knives are out now.

Spec Miata's look like big fun. 10 SM's on the grid, and all race long they'd be running around in little packs, kinda like tetras in a fish tank. Maybe we'll retire the Nissan from 12 Hour competition (we're 4 for 4 afterall, they should retire the SSC trophy) and get a SM for next year.

Saw lots of rally cars going home on Rt. 15 in PA yesterday as I headed north. How'd STPR go for Daphne and Phil ? Saw the results on the FLR STPR site, good finish for some locals here (Perry, Henderson, etc.) but how did the out-of-town contingent do ?
Old 06-03-2002, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sheesh, some people..........let ME get that for you Audiboy!!!!

8-)

I may still end up go'in fishing, but still may make Friday.<ul><li><a href="http://www.laguna-seca.com/cartsked.htm">http://www.laguna-seca.com/cartsked.htm</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Congrats to John/TSR =)