Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Fatality in a time-trails event...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatality in a time-trails event...

a Radical driver this time.<ul><li><a href="http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15277744&amp;BRD=1652&amp;PAG=461& amp;dept_id=12530&amp;rfi=6">driver dies in time-trial event.</a></li></ul>
Old 09-26-2005, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default EMRA LRP schedule for Saturday was for sprint races and an enduro...

...not 'Time Trial'. Wonder if the writer got it correct....?

Very unfortunate. EMRA is a small, but very closely-knit race organization that has been around nearly as long as SCCA. Condolences to all...
Old 09-26-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Terrible news...

Can we assume that all the cars in the session were sports racers? I wonder if the deceased was wearing a HANS and if not would he have been better off with one.

This just sucks...seems to be a rash of track fatalities in the last 6 months.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Old 09-26-2005, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default just saw a post from someone who was there...

it was in an enduro and he ran into the back of an integra and "drove right under it".
Old 09-26-2005, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that is just too unfortunate.

Such a tragic event.
I've been doing lots of time trial events with EMRA over the past few years. I would imagine that the time trial events are pretty safe. I have also seen several over turned cars and plenty of fender benders. Cannot believe that this can happen. I personally have lots control several times on the actual timed runs, I find it hard for someone to hit someone else from behind. I think this might be during a race or practice session.
My condolences goes out to Adam and his family.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:52 AM

Default What's your take on sports racers being on track with touring cars?

I think they don't mix and this incident is a perfect example of that. I could see myself in a DSR or radical some day and I wouldn't run with sedans.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default omg, has the earth stopped turning? We actually agree on something...

I can remember a few Friday test sessions at Buttonwillow Raceway where I had a couple close calls with a formula atlantic car. I saw him coming, but the problem was how unprepared I was for the speed differential. I would stay on-line and that thing would be under and around me before I could process what was going on... Of course D/C sports racers are more visible than an open wheel car, but they're still fast as hell and much more difficult to see than a sedan. Of course I would have no objections sharing the track with a D/C sports racer, but I'm surrounded by metal. Not sure how I'd feel being on the other side of the equation with my head blowing in the breeze at about bumper height.

Maybe they could have the "La Cucaracha" air horn as a factory Radical option? Pete, that is all you! :P

*Condolences to the family of the driver... very sad to hear about accidents at the race track.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:20 AM
Elder Member

Default Agreed here too.

Open wheeled cars and Sports Racers on track with sedans/bigger cars is a recipie for disaster.

More than once I've had a radical dive underneath me in a space where I thought we were going to collide.

Krisko - John Studdard was riding with me when I was driving one of the RTR M3s once... we had a guy in a radical slide between us and the wall, half on the track, half off on the entry to turn 13 at Sebring. We both screamed out loud and I jerked the wheel to the left to try to avoid contact. I thought for sure we were coming together, there had to be literally inches to spare. I can only imagine the damage if he had rear ended us at the speed he was travelling. It felt like I was being passed by an LMP car.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Yup, it's a big roll of the dice.

The crappy thing is there are probably very few sports racer or open wheel only venues to race at. It would seem with DSR types and formula cars that the speeds climb drastically while the safety level drops. That may not be the case but it sounds like you (Jon) incurred injuries that you may not have in a touring sedan.

On a brighter note, what are your plans for next year? IIRC, you said you were done with formula cars and you might get into a BMW club racer or even possibly WC. Any chance you'll be at winterfest? I'm looking for a ride for the 'race into the night'...if you hear of any let me know.

Quick Reply: Fatality in a time-trails event...