Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Good brake pads for track and street?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2000, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good brake pads for track and street?

As much as I like my Mintex redbox pads on the streat, they are not so good on the track. Does any one have suggestions on pads that I can use on the track as well as the streat? I am willing to give up some street braking performance if I can stop boiling my brake fluid on the track.

Thanks,
--Leszek
Old 03-14-2000, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Get a set of both- easy enough to change out...

I have Audi pads for the street and Mintex Ctech for the track. The Ctechs just didn't give inital bite that the factory pads gave. I need that for the stop-go traffic in town.
Old 03-14-2000, 07:17 AM

Default I'm with Jay...racing hints

Two pair for a number of reasons. I run one set of pagids for AX and street, but track is a whole 'nother world. It is easy to have some serious overcooking damage, including cracking and delamination if you aren't running ducts. Replacing the pads allows you to stay on top of damage and look at the brake lines (if you went aftermarket). It will also be a good time to bleed the system. It is eventually more cost effective anyways.

You might look at some monster racing pads: Porterfield R4 or 3000, that are unstreetable, but give uber grip when hot.
Old 03-14-2000, 08:03 AM

Default With C-Tech pads I still boil my fluid.

My previous RedBox pads didn't hold up at ThunderHill in January. They smoked and faded and my pedal was very spongy after two days. So I put C-Tech pads up front and braided lines all around. Although better, I still had a mushy pedal at the end of the day at SIR.

I think I'm going with a caliper upgrade.

Good luck,
Rich
Old 03-14-2000, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Same experience

I still boiled ATE super blue and the brakes still got mushy, and somewhat faded. Better than stock, but not a few hundred bones better.

I say, if you're gonna muck with A4 brakes at all, go for at least the BIRA setup, which is "reasonably" priced. If you do a lot of track time though, a step up to better rotors may be in order, like the kits from Vortrag and Mov'it.

Warren
Old 03-14-2000, 10:57 AM
Elder Member

Default Have you thought about a BRAKE FLUID change? I have always used high temp fluids

I am switching the fluid in my TTQ on the 25th to SuperBlue Racing Brake fluid.

Its specs are as follows:

Dry Boiling Point: 536*F, +122* above DOT 4 spec

Wet Boiling Point: 392*F, +113* above DOT 4 spec.

Your car and mine come with DOT 3 brake fluid! The boiling point is even LOWER than DOT 4!

Before you go and do a complete brake upgrade, try upgrading your brake FLUID! I am sure the C-Tech pads are just fine, it is the fluid that is the problem. You are still generating the heat no matter what pads you use.

The cost of the fluid is $13/liter. you will need just over 1 liter to completely drain the brakes and change the fluid. Try and find a place that can do a fluid replacement under PRESSURE! You will be amazed at the great feeling brake pedal!

I got my fluid at Camra Motorsports, http://camramotorsports.hypermart.net/

Good luck.

Larry
180TTQ Garrett, H&R, Borla(3/25), Hardwired V1, Custom Stereo<ul><li><a href="http://larrytt.tripod.com">http://larrytt.tripod.com</a</li></ul>
Old 03-14-2000, 12:32 PM

Default Thanks. I'm actually running the SuperBlue already.

Changing to SuperBlue fluid and RedBox pads was my first step. Going further to C-Tech pads and stainless steel braided lines was my second step. I'm thinking my third step will be slotted A8 rotors and either Alcon or AP Racing calipers.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope it proves enough for you and your TTQ.

Rich A4 1.8TAQMS
Old 03-14-2000, 06:38 PM
Elder Member

Default You really boiled your SuperBlue? ****!

I am trying to avoid doing a total brake upgrade to my TTQ!!! I have horrible stock brakes. They fade on the street! I am going to try SuperBlue and then Mintex RedBox for the track.

Worst case scenario I will get something like the soon to be released AWE-Tuning Boxter 4 piston brake upgrade. If I do that I will have to swap back and forth for the winter as the Boxter calipers won't fit inside my 16" Steel winter wheels!

Let me know what you end up doing.

Larry
180TTQ Garrett, H&R, Borla(3/25), Hardwired V1, Custom stereo<ul><li><a href="http://larrytt.tripod.com">http://larrytt.tripod.com</a</li></ul>
Old 03-15-2000, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I boiled it too.
Old 03-15-2000, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep, me too, see my post just below this.

Quick Reply: Good brake pads for track and street?