Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Grand Am Cup Race at VIR. What a mess.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grand Am Cup Race at VIR. What a mess.

I'm catching up with my Tivo-watching and just saw the Grand Am race at VIR. It was a wet track, and the drivers were racing like 12 year olds. Most laps were run under yellow. The race leader got hammered by a back marker in a Caddy CTS-V. In contrast, the next day's Rolex races were clean and exciting.

Should they just postpone or cancel races rather than run them in the rain? Maybe they should impose painful penalties on drivers that cause accidents. The guy in the Caddy should pay to fix/replace the BMW his totalled.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 cars on the grid is a lot regardless of weather.

internet rumor has it that the caddy was black flagged and the officials told the team to load up and leave.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If he did that on public roads, he's be in prison! He really could have gotten someone hurt.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Rest In Peace

Default I think more laps would have been green if the incidents were not so severe.

They had to reconstruct barriers twice during that race, and that required lots of heavy equipment!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's basically the state of 'Pro' road racing...

...in the US (whether Grand Am or WC).

The pointy end of the grid...the fast guys, are fast and skilled and professional. The back of the grid is filled with amateurs - some skilled, some clueless.

The requirement for issuance of a racing license from the Pro series ?

Must be able to fog a mirror
Must have a check that clears the bank
Must have some minimal paperwork that shows that they've passed some racing school (but nobody really checks).

As a fee-paying entrant in a Pro series, you are the major source of funding for those running that series, so they have a vested interest in filling the grids, rather than keeping the idiots out.

The skill level at the back of the pro grids is really terrifying. It's nice to hear that 'teams' are being sent home for being clueless.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:44 PM

Default VIR gives you no way to scrub speed off track

It's pretty narrow, and once you're off track it's all grass (and often downhill) so when you're off in the wet you just go and go and go and go...
Old 05-01-2006, 12:53 PM

Default My builder was asked me if I wanted to buy a Grand Am seat before I had 3 SCCA races under my belt

Said he could get me the license no problem, and the car was good to go, he just needed drivers. And I was surprised how "affordable" it was.

Needless to say, at that point (and probably now as well) I did not belong in a pro race, and I turned the offer down.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:40 PM

Default During practice our DP went off at 94MPH, slid for several hundred yards ..

at 90MPH before slowing down some and backing into a tirewall.
Not to much damage and the driver was OK. Well, OK except for being a little pissed about every trick in the book doing nothing to slow the car down.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default similar experience...

...i have been offered a rental ride with a mid-pack ST team, most likely just trying to fill seats (make money)...i don't feel ready just yet to race with the pros but may give it a shot sometime down the road...

i was also surprised at how "affordable" it can be...getting a pro license seems to be a non-issue (as john mentioned)...
Old 05-02-2006, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Might need some gravel traps. The tire walls work, but they bang up the cars.

Quick Reply: Grand Am Cup Race at VIR. What a mess.