Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 01:19 PM
JHC
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone here done the Dakar ralley?
Old 08-20-2001, 08:43 PM

Why yes I did...and my co-driver was...Morgan Fairchild. Yeah, that's the ticket.
Old 08-21-2001, 07:22 AM
JHC
AudiWorld Member

Default I see there is a sense of humour on this forum. ;o)

I'm planning on doing something insane for my 40th birthday. Paris to Dakar seems to fit the bill. I'm hoping there's someone who may have suffered from the same insanity.
Old 08-21-2001, 08:53 AM

Default There is a book you need to read...

"Against Gravity: From Paris to Dakar in the World's Most Dangerous Race" by Ed McCabe. It is probably out of print (published in 1990 or so), but you should be able to find it at Half-Price Books or through the Internet (Amazon).

One of the biggest complaints of the book, was actually the thing that I found most appealing about it: almost the entire book is about the PREPARATION for the race and not the race itself, which only gets a few pages. As you know, the race is only the tip of the iceberg and the preparation is the rest of that huge freakin' Titanic-busting iceberg. This applies to any race. I find the logistics, R&D, testing, and preparation for a race to be a heady and enjoyable experience (except at the last minute when everything seems to break and otherwise go wrong, or does that only happen to me?). Anyway, for your purposes, this book should help with your decision.

Offhand, I would say multiply your money budget by 10 and your time budget by 20.

If you can read French, you should be able to find many, many helpful books about the the P-D Rally.

40th birthday, huh? I have about six more years. Sheesh, what ever happened to a birthday cake and a coupla lap dances?

Good luck,
Old 08-21-2001, 08:34 PM
Elder Member

Default I spoke with one of the paris-dakkar participants (motorcycle)

He's from around here.

If you are interested in doing something crazy, this guy organizes one week rally "trips" accross the desert (actually one of the paris-dakkar stages). for a fixed fee you have airfare, food, the car, and a guide to take you through 3-5 days of bouncing up and down and eating sand.

Interested? e-mail me, I'll try to dig up his info for you if you really feel up to it.

regards,
Liam

ps. I told him I wanted to do the rally in an audi allroad. 5 minutes later, after the laughter stopped, he said...... (translated from french) "MAN, .FORRRRGEDDDDDDDDABBBOUUUUIDDDDD"