Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Hey, should I race the Spec Miata during the Laguna ALMS/Speed WC race weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hey, should I race the Spec Miata during the Laguna ALMS/Speed WC race weekend?

The Spec Miata Challenge is held that same weekend as the ALMS/Speed World Challenge races. I would definitely be back of the pack, but it would give you guys a chance to see a fellow Audiworlder trying to play with some of the big boys. Spec Miata races are a hoot to watch...70+ car fields...in the middle of the pack...you feel like you are in a swarm of bees. Nothing like going into turn #2 (Andretti Hairpin) at Laguna four cars abreast. Yikes.

Kinda expensive weekend...still on the fence about it.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's an idea.......................

.............go real slow and pretend you have mechanical issues on the first lap or two, then when the leaders catch you drive like a bat outa h*ll and you will get TV coverage for 5 to 6 laps.

This is a heck of a lot better than just telling us about the race. We will be able to see you on TV and tell people "..that's our good friend Steve racing at the front of the pack with Foo, Dobsen, ....."

Good luck. I wouldn't pass up such an opportunity even if I expected to be dead last on the grid.

Regards,

Jon
Old 08-11-2004, 09:32 AM

Default Heart says go for it, brain says stay home

I think it would be cool to race in front of a real crowd and participate in a true pro race weekend. It would be a little more special than the regular events. Thinking about it this way, I'd so go for it.

However, you should know that the Spec Miata race at the Lime Rock ALMS race was insane. Very dirty driving, lots of contact, and lots of post-race shouting and finger pointing on the specmiata.com northeast discussion forum (some choice threads linked below). Much worse than the standard race jostling. I briefly considered driving, but was glad I opted not to, as I would have been eaten alive. You'd probably fair better than I would have, since I'm still a noob.

<a href="http://www.specmiata.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/7/469.html">LRP Driving Antics</a>

<a href="http://www.specmiata.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/7/466.html">Any early word on the Pro race at LRP?</a>
Old 08-11-2004, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default LOL

"Look like Steve is blocking Dobson...ew..he just took out Rod Nelson AND Barry Hartzel..too bad for those veterans". "Where did this #47 come from?"

For $465, I think this two race weekend is worth it.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow...it's cheap, too.

I'm used to Pro double weekend with $900 entry fees. You'll just have to invest the money you save in bondo and paint.

My last pro race weekend involved me finishing in the prize money on Day 1 (yay !) and then giving it all back, in spades, on Day 2 (remove 1/2 nose section in incident 1, remove tail section in incident 2, but still running at the checker). Think of how much of a mess you could make in a car with a crushable structure...

Besides, it's always a lot more fun to make a fool of yourself in front of a paying audience.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

are they broadcasting the miata race?
Old 08-11-2004, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

I don't think so...but I will be filming my races with my camera :-)
Old 08-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Elder Member

lol......you're not kidding, arent you?
Old 08-11-2004, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Super-8, or 16mm ?

And isn't it a bitch loading the film every few minutes ?
Old 08-11-2004, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I nearly bought a picture from a race photographer...

of me "leading" Dobson through turn 3 at Laguna. It was even during the last lap!!!

Quick Reply: Hey, should I race the Spec Miata during the Laguna ALMS/Speed WC race weekend?