Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Hi all, if you have some "weekend" racing seats in your Audi, what kind and how did the install go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2000, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hi all, if you have some "weekend" racing seats in your Audi, what kind and how did the install go?

Do the custom brackets require any more bending, cutting, welding?

I'm looking to get some Corbeau's from Frey Racing in Milpitas, CA this weekend so I can permanently mount my harness on them and not have them dangle on my everyday stock seats.

Any inputs?
Old 05-11-2000, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy, get some B5 sliders and a side-support bracket...

... and then you can choose from any Recaro shell or shell racer seat.

It's $250 for sliders and brackets, but you can just slide the racing seat out and slide your stock seat back in (plug in the seat heaters and you're good to go...)

Cameron
Old 05-11-2000, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The ones from Corbeau cost $60. I wonder if they will slide in and out easy. How's the 225 doing?
Old 05-11-2000, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe I read this too literally but...

...do you mean that you intend to attach your harness to the seat, instead of solid chassis structure ?

If I mis-read this, please ignore post.

If I didn't, please include me (that's "John Tee-Ess-Are") in your Last Will and Testament, and name me as a beneficiary on any life insurance that you have. I'd like to retire earlier that my current plans will allow, and your estate will help my cause.

Never ever never ever never ever mount belts to just a seat or seat frame. Seats and seat frames are structural garbage. Lap belts mount to the stock lap belt anchorage points (really strong), unless you weld in your own points. Shoulder harness mounts to cage (preferred) or to some other solid chassis point no more than a 45 degree angle down from the seat.

Most recent non-racing track fatality I know of (Lime Rock 2 years ago) was due to a seat mounting/belt mounting failure during a rearward impact.
Old 05-12-2000, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually, one lap belt mounting point will be on the seat rail as in the stock configuration. The

other side will be mounted to the door pillar - also stock configuration.

The rear mounts are mounted where they should be right on the stock rear seat blet bolts, and I drive it with the rear cushion out so that the metal strap is straight, not twisted to go around the cushion as I have seen others.

I have the Schrotte rallye 4's. Did I spell that right? So, I will make sure that the belts are mounted right. have a buddy with a mig welded in case things get crazy

Since the only way to take out the lap belts is to take the seat out, might as well replace the seat for those fun weekend events Plus, it'll cut down almost 100lbs. The seats are 16lbs less rails. They cost $220
Old 05-12-2000, 08:15 AM

Default I thought that was a 911 that rolled and almost took out the tower.

I didn't hear of a rearward impact. I wasn't at the track that weekend, but a few weekends before that.

Todd W
Old 05-12-2000, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wasn't there -

...fortunately....but I know a few people who were, and I'll see'em this Monday at Watkins Glen. I'll ask about the details (I never really wanted to know the details, anyway). My 2nd or 3rd hand knowledge was that the car got backed into the Armco on the outside exit of the Diving Turn, and the seat mounts gave way, stuffing the driver under the main hoop diagonal. Yuck.
Old 05-13-2000, 04:30 AM
SKS

I heard that he didn't have a seat back brace