Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Just back from Thunderhill wheeee

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2000, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just back from Thunderhill wheeee

I was attending a Subaru event (instructing, actually - heh and was testing out my new brakes (StopTechs) which performed really damn well I must say - I kept getting people saying "holy **** what kind of brakes do you have" when I'd mash them at the end of a straight ;-)

The only real down-side to the event was when one of the scooby drivers stuffed it into the tires at the top of 9 (after coming into 9 way too hot) :-( He was fine (physically) and was actually on the "A group" (better drivers)... bummer

Anyway, more on the brakes after I sleep because I got about 3 hours of it last night...

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

-T
Old 09-28-2000, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Questions

I'd love to know.

1. How were the brake temperatures? Any additional venting required?

2. How was the front-to-back balance with the stock rear brakes?

3. Which of the pads did you use?

Thanks for being the early adopter. I'm hopeful that there is a less expensive (and better?) option than the Mov'it kit.
Old 09-29-2000, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tires? Turn #9?

Is this a new addition?
Old 09-29-2000, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Answers ;)

1) After the cool-down lap, the brakes were at about 350 degrees - dunno what I should have been expecting?

2) Balance felt really good, altho if I wanted to try to lock the brakes (well, get ABS to kick in), I had to basically push the pedal as hard as I possibly could - even then it wasn't really locking (is this good or bad?) - it was definately stopping FAST... maybe ABS was pushing back and I didn't noice, tho

3) The kit came with Bendix Mintex 'Axxis Ultimate' pads (FF-rated, good to 932 degrees)

Hope this helps!

-Taner
Old 09-29-2000, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah - not on the right side - on the left side just before the flagger :-/

He came thru 9 wa too hot, got a little sideways and shot straight back across (to the left) and ended up with the passenger front quarter in the tires :-(

-T
Old 09-29-2000, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Questions

I've run mine at Watkins Glen (doing a Quatto club instructors only event this week, too!) and I found similar results. Never cooked the pads (same Axxis/Bendix Ulimates which we supply with the kits) and saw similar rotor temps after a partial cool down lap. My father's 2000 A8 (which cooked the fluid, stock pads, and warped his STOCK rotors, saw over 500 degrees at the rotor (AFTER cool down!). Wow. I'm planning on getting the A8 kit developed and installing one on my father's car. I can't have dad running around with 4000 lbs. or Aluminum, softly sprung, with suspect brakes (yes, they've been replaced under warranty, but still!) Safety first!
With the Stoptechs, I feel the front/rear bias is *nearly* perfect. My customer who has a MAJORLY modified S4 ran at Lime Rock a few weekends ago and agrees with my assesments. That said, I'm going to run a better rear pad (like Mintex) for more rear brakes and try it out. I felt the car could use a little more rear brake (I was doing a LOT of trail braking to test), so we'll see in a few days.
if you have any questions, I'll be back in town late Sunday night.

Mark Rosenkrantz (Stoptech distributor and S4 owner)
AudiBiTurbo@aol.com
Old 09-29-2000, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Answers ;)

On the ABS, it's VERY subtle with these brakes on the track- VERY easy to modulate! (unlike the stock brakes).
Anyhow, for serious track use, I'd reccomend going to a race pad (and it's SO easy to change on the Stoptechs, why not?). I'm using the Ulimates at Watkins this week just because it's the standard pad I'm shipping with product and I hope to try rear pads (change one variable at a time).

Mark Rosenkrantz
AudiBiTurbo@aol.com
Old 09-29-2000, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True...

For a really true test I should have slapped some race pads on, but the brakes performed beautifully w/ the Ultimate pads, really! :-)

And the more I think about it, I think it was the ABS pushing back (I was stopping pretty damn quickly - it just wasn't acting the same way the stock brakes did, so I wasn't sure what was going on, heh

-Taner
Old 09-29-2000, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wicked! I think I made my brake upgrade choice!