Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Le Mans Diaries: Andrew Cushman

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Le Mans Diaries: Andrew Cushman

LE MANS DIARIES: ANDREW CUSHMAN, PETERSEN/WHITE LIGHTNING

Le Mans, France - Andrew Cushman is a technician for Petersen Motorsports/White Lightning Racing. His primary duty is assisting in maintenance of the No. 90 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR the team is fielding for this weekend's 24 Hours of Le Mans. He also works with Joey Seely on the left-side tire changes during pit stops. Cushman, who is single, lives and works in Las Vegas at Premier SportsCar Service. He joined the team late last season but will be making his first appearance at Le Mans this week. This is the first in a series of diaries that Cushman will give his perspective on coming to Le Mans as a rookie with a team pursuing its third-straight Le Mans victory.

With the beginning of race week I already can tell things are going to be hectic. However, because of our meticulous preparation prior to this week we are in excellent shape for the long days and nights to follow. Now, with the arrival of Jörg, our lineup has only gotten stronger, with Patrick and Timo already running aggressively. The team's hopes and ambitions are through the roof. We know with the combination of our drivers and the team's diligent work regiment, we're gonna strike fear into a lot of teams.

We are always confident we have a winning car on the track and can win at any time. Plus, with our money-winning pit stops (we did, after all, win the first round of the Klein Tools Pit Crew Challenge at Road Atlanta), that adds another weapon to our arsenal. Dennis (Chizma), Nico (Castellaccio), Sam (Andrus), Joey (Seely) and I are working like a fine-tuned, well-oiled machine. Plus, with Dale (White, team manager) and Stefan (Pfeiffer, crew chief) handling the strategy things always seem to be in impeccable running order. That is the most valuable lesson I've learned since being involved in racing. A team, in any sport actually, can have the best performers but if they haven't prepared themselves, or don't work as a team, chances of winning are slim.

This being the start of my third week both here in France and with our team journey to Spain, I feel I'm in full swing with the way things happen over here. I now know I was meant to drive in Europe. With the aggressive driving and consistent close calls I know I've got the knack to maneuver in any big city. Even though, at first, it would make my fellow passengers white knuckle the handles, I'm sure they have complete confidence in my abilities now. Plus, the food has been excellent, as long as I keep a close eye on what I order. For example, ordering pizza here is a bit different. If you're not careful you could end up with an egg or cream perched on top of your pie. Also, having Vanessa (team caterer) here in Le Mans, has been a touch of home and makes it a bit easier to cope with being away from home for so long.

Starting this last Monday, I could already see the track and its surroundings transforming. From the huge Ferris wheel, all the vendors and even hundreds of tents that have quickly just popped up and begun camping, this is just a huge controlled frenzy. Basically, the whole city of Le Mans becomes the track. Even when I go into a shop or gas station I can feel everyone wants to know about the shirt I'm wearing and most go out of their way to help out.

Such as, we went to a restaurant, the only place open at the time, to get change to do laundry. Only, the guy had no idea what I was saying so there was a lot of hand motions and whatnot until he understood I needed coins. So, he disappears into the back and comes out with at least thirty euros worth of change. I said to myself "sweet", told him "merci", shook his hand and walked back to the laundromat. When Dennis and I got back, Dennis happened to have a few autograph cards so we walked all the way back down and gave them to the man. He was thrilled! The very next day we went back in and sure enough, there they were propped up for everyone to see.

So many things like that have been happening that even the seasoned Le Mans veterans can't believe it. I just hope this is a sign of things to come when the checkered flag drops here at the 24 Hours of Le Mans