Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

That LeMans GT race car thingy

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-1998, 07:21 PM
Todd W

Default That LeMans GT race car thingy

I know there has been some mention o this board of the car Audi might enter in the 99 LeMans. The thing that I just read in EC (yes I live in a cave, what of it!?) is that there is some consideration of a road / consumer version. Is there any hope or is this the super-ultimate tease? Not that I could afford it, I didn't win the lottery last night ($37M) ;-(<p>Exactly what class would it AutoX in? :P <p>Todd W<br>Lusting for an extreme quattro
Old 10-15-1998, 08:10 PM
Bob B

Default Re: That LeMans GT race car thingy

I think what you're referring to is the FIA GT1 rule that requires a minimum of one (1) roadgoing version of a manufacturer's GT1 race car be built (and possible be for sale?), i.e. Porsche had to "convert" or build one of their 911 GT1 race cars into a street legal car, as did Mercedes. Nothing would prevent a manufacturer from building more than one.....except for practical market considerations & $$$$.<br>A road version will easily be in the $500,000 to $1,000,000 U.S range.<br>Can you afford that?<p>Only a few years ago the required minimum quantity was much higher than one (1), say around 25 or something (just a guess, since I can't recall the exact number). This is why three years ago McLaren with their F1 road car already being produced and on the road started converting or building race versions. <br>Porsche and Mercedes seemed to arm twist the FIA organization to alter the rules to require fewer and fewer road versions. Thus now race cars are built first and a single or a few road cars second.<p>The just out Nov 98 issue of R&T magazine has an excellant article and road test of the Mercedes CLK-GTR (the Mercedes GT1 racer) which has a price of $1 million U.S., but insinuated that the true cost is closer to ten times that!!!<p>In this same issue, on pages 34/35, there is another artists interpretation of what the Audi LeMans racer might look like. It looks very much like the one drawn in the current issue of EC Magazine.<br> <br>Also, reported elsewhere, THE Audi LeMans test car that was testing on a European race course in August was open cockpit. It may be just a test bed or the Audi LeMans racer might be a Prototype class racer not a GT1 class racer. This is TBD.<p>Bob B
Old 10-16-1998, 02:41 PM
Phillip Taylor

Bob, I think the FIA announced this week that the categories would be shifting in '99. The GT1 cars as we know them today (Porsche, Merc, McCla, Nissan) would become GT-Prototype (no roadgoing models would have to be produced). The current GT2 cars would become simply "GT". This class should really take off in '99 with GM backing the Corvette, Viper, Porsche, etc. <p>My limited info is that Audi/Volks are actually testing two cars ... an Audi open cockpit (LM1) car and a version of the Volkswagon W12 (GT-Prototype) -- both with a 4 litre V8 engine. Could we even see an 2000 S6 in GT?<p>Also hear of the limited interest in taking this 4 litre to IRL. I think a lot is in wraps .. waiting for new Audi chief to take office in January (he's a race guy!).<p>I've got the FIA Press Release around here somewhere if you want it (has '99 schedules). <p>We'll hope for some real news soon. Thanks. <br>
Old 10-16-1998, 04:16 PM
Bob B

Phillip,<br>Thanks for your info......some timing, since I too just saw the FIA reclassification notification at www.sportscarworld.com<p>It all sounds quite interestring and something to look forward to.<br>Perhaps with the recent news that past month of so, (Petit LeMans Series, etc.) sportscar / GT racing is starting to pull itself out of the grave (or real trouble) it was headed for.<p>AND having some Audis to follow and cheer for would be great. <p>Bob B
Old 10-17-1998, 05:34 AM
Phillip Taylor

Bob, I think you're right. I believe the announcement last week from Don Panoz on his plans for a Asian, Euro, and US championship is significant. Provides (for the first time) a "world" platform for a manufacturer to support. The rules for the cars are the same no matter what continent and the prize of Le Mans exemption is worth going after. I think Panoz will pull off a great TV package and has quietly claimed he would throw $100 million behind all of this to get it going. Panoz said he couldn't promise he would save road racing -- but he'd commit to try for 5 years. Given the success of the Petit Le Mans, I think he might be on to something.<p>I also believe that:<p>- Panoz will get the Daytona 24 hr race in January<br>- Will purchase Watkins Glen from ISC/France (will not get the cup date)<br>- Will get a BGN race at Road Atlanta and keep the BGN race at the Glen<br>- And (don't laugh) will get an F1 race at Road Atlanta<br> <br>On the Audi front, I think you'll see a MUCH greater presence in racing in '99. I sure hope so, they'll at least be wherever BMW is .. and that grows daily!