Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

NASA racer...a couple pics from saturday

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm told you DRIFT your 4000-lb. car through Talladega...

Fess up! ^_^
Old 04-09-2002, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default not really sure...

we never tested the acceleration...but I'm guessing its no faster than a mid-7 second car...it's really slow in straight-line speed, that's why I was curious. We were actually happy to actually get above 110 on a track! Thing is an absolute slug off of corners and on long straights and makes all its time in braking and cornering AND can get good exit speed if one can keep the speed (momentum) up.

We tried some different things in testing to get as high as 120...first few laps we had a lamo wing and I ran 2:08s with 112 on the straight! It was a speed brake!
Old 04-09-2002, 05:55 PM

Default Sorry, Jerry...

Didn't think you would mind. I mentioned Kumhos because I must have been thinking of your corded Kumhos at the previous Buttonwillow event.

Speaking of memorables passes, that pass you made (during the videotaped session) at the apex of the lefthander after the back straight was just short of mind-boggling.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:01 PM

Default You sure you don't need a 4th?

I'm about the same size as Mark, but I weigh a little bit more.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:05 PM

Default hmm... i drive both, and would disagree (more)

Most of my track time has been in heavy RWD BMWs (primarily five and six series) - only lately have I had a relatively light (~2900 lb.) car.

Cars I've raced range from an ITE Corolla AE86, an AI T/A LS-1 Firebird, an ASC (American Stockcar) and a Sentra SE-R.

The ASC car is a special case, but of the production-based cars, the SE-R race car is by far the most difficult to drive. The guys set them up with so much roll stiffness in the rear, it wants to step out at the mere sight of a corner!

Going through Talladega flat-out is a frenetic excercise of twitch-correct, twitch-correct, twitch-correct... and gawd help you if you ever lift while the car wants to rotate! See paragraph above. ;^)

I personally have a lot of respect for really fast FWD race car drivers.

BMWs are a piece of cake to drive.

-jerry
Old 04-09-2002, 06:15 PM

Default Let me qualify that...

A twitchy heavy RWD car is harder to drive fast than a twitchy lightweight FWD car. Replace "twitchy" with "stable" and it still applies.

BMWs, I agree, are very easy to drive. I've said elsewhere that they're probably the easiest street cars in the world to flog at 10/10ths at any given racetrack. However, lightweight FWD cars are pretty darn easy too...that's why I rent them when my BMW is not available. And what is NOT easy in a heavy BMW is being competitive against much lighter cars. Given the same weight-to-power ratio, the much lighter car will smoke a heavy BMW.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:33 PM

Default Corded Kumhos? You mean Pilot Sports. (more)

No problem on posting lap times - as I mentioned I don't put as much stock in them as I used to... ;^)

-jerry
Old 04-09-2002, 07:03 PM

Default You raced an AE86?

Mind telling me how what was? Planning on making my own ae86 into a race car.
Old 04-09-2002, 07:36 PM

Default We will have to work on that.

Since we are almost the same size, I am sure we can sort that out.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:33 PM

Default Re: You raced an AE86?

It was fun, actually. I drove an hour stint in NASA's 3-hour night enduro at Willow Springs last year. Triple Firsts: first time in the car, first time at the track, first night enduro. ;^)

While the car is not particularly quick, it made short work of the RX-7s, Miatae, etc. But the whoosh of a turbo Porsche as it rocketed past in the dark jolted you back to reality - although I actually managed to catch one in T3, and was on his tail til we crested T6.

All-in-all, a fun car to drive.

-jerry

Quick Reply: NASA racer...a couple pics from saturday