Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Newbe track question, how can I cheaply add something to stick me to the seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbe track question, how can I cheaply add something to stick me to the seat

I'm finally going to take the drivers school at Road America in Sept! I love the way my car corners (A4 2.8 sport suspension), but I have to hold on to the wheel for dear life to keep my rear in the seat. I have leather non-sport seats as the sports seats were not available when I bought my car.

What can I add to hold my rear in the seat? I'm thinking about trying some of the sticky mat mesh I use for my van cargo area. Someone must have figured out a way to do this. This is my daily driver, so any mods must be reversible.

Thanks for any help,

Steve-O A4 2.8QMS with slick wide leather seats
Old 07-10-2001, 11:34 AM
CP

Default I actually did this at an autox on Sunday...

Pull your seat all the way back, with the seatbelt on. Then pull it tight and yank it quickly so that it catches and stops close to your body. Then pull your seat forward again into your regular position. This should hold you in pretty well.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:24 PM

whatever u do, don't install a harness w/o a cage when going to the track
Old 07-10-2001, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default pull seatbelt (by the buckle) down by your right pocket, twist 3x, buckle up.

you can also slide your seat forward for tightness
Old 07-10-2001, 01:26 PM

This is an excellent option, works real well with power seats.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:28 PM

Also, use your left foot on the dead peddle to push yourself into your set more.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there consensus on this point????

I've read discussion on this before, but came away undecided. It makes some kind of intuitive sense to me -- you wouldn't want to be locked into your seat bolt-upright if you roll the car and the roof collapses, but of all the things to worry about, is this one of them???

I'd really like to be secured to my seat better than my seat belts can accomplish. Interesting data point - 3 separate instructors that I rode with at the NEQ/QCUSA Lime Rock event had harnesses but no cages in their cars.
Old 07-10-2001, 02:17 PM

Default consensus? with this group?

The controversy is less with the harness, than with the use of a submarine belt. It's all a matter of how much risk you're willing to accept. If you are in some non-rollover accidents, you'll be happy to have had a submarine belt that prevented you from sliding forward, but do you want that fixed position when you're on your roof and you're suddenly questioning whether the pillars are going to hold? Use the submarine belt at an autocross and not at the track, perhaps. It's up to you.

You can get a nice, bolt in Schroth 4pt harness -- DOT blessed -- for about $150, install yourself and satisfy 95% of the needs on this board.
Old 07-10-2001, 02:52 PM
Rest In Peace

Default For me the added measure of control in avoiding an accident outweighed the risk during one.

I'd rather have 100% of my concentration on the track rather than 90% on the track and 10% on keeping my left knee against the door and right elbow next to the seat.
Old 07-10-2001, 03:35 PM

Default I disagree on Sub-Belt

The main purpose of the anti-sub belt is to keep the lap belt across your hips. Without this belt, most systems will climb up when you tighten the shoulder harness, pulling the lap belt up to the stomach. This can cause major injury in a wreck.
In a lay down car (like a formula car) the anti-sub belt also keeps the driver from sliding under the belts.

Quick Reply: Newbe track question, how can I cheaply add something to stick me to the seat