Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Noob daydreaming: What's the feedback on GTS Challenge (NASA)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noob daydreaming: What's the feedback on GTS Challenge (NASA)?

I've done a little digging and it seems like a very accessible and affordable way to race the kind of cars I like. The lack of rigid formulas might even let me turn my C32 into a track machine (maybe in a few years). I might try to visit a race at Summit Point this Spring.

I assume that no series is perfect -- what are the weaknesses in GTS?

The GTS formula (horsepower:weight) has its limitations. It does not factor in brakes or tire size, so I assume the real winners go with the best brakes and biggest tires.

I also assume that with such an open formula a few specific types tend to dominate. 2005 results were all Porsche (924/944/911). I also assume that any competitive car will end up being a dedicated track car.

It also looks like it is pretty easy to get away with cheating since they can't dyno every car on site before each race.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i like racing in the GTS challenge...

...its a fun and growing series...

"I also assume that any competitive car will end up being a dedicated track car." - all cars have to have a full cage so that typically makes them dedicated track/race cars...

"It also looks like it is pretty easy to get away with cheating since they can't dyno every car on site before each race." - we are using certified dyno sheets this year and nasa is making an effort to have portable dynos at each race in case they want to check hp...

as far as weaknesses, i really cant think of any...

you should also see a lot more bmw's at the top of the results this year...there will be more bmw racers running this year...
Old 02-15-2006, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very cool. Is TireRack a series sponsor, or do they just give out stickers? ;-)

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like a LOT of fun. Perfect balance of safety, competition and lower costs.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, I hope to run a couple this year...

at Summit. It'll give me a good opportunity to beat up on the Wongster. :-P

-KJ
Old 02-15-2006, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default come on down to vir and whip up on him there...

...looks like i wont be making it up to summit this year either...my schedule is packed with south atlantic bmwcca and southeast GTS races...the gts races at vir are for mid-atlantic points but its to close and fun to pass up ;-)
Old 02-15-2006, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i have to run the tire rack banner for bmwcca club racing...

...they are the title sponsor for the series...

toyo is very involved with nasa, they are the spec tire for several of the race series that run with nasa...toyo isnt the spec tire for gts though, yet...
Old 02-16-2006, 11:28 AM

Default Early word is that it's da bomb!

I'll echo everything that Dave White has said.

You hit the nail on the head as far as the downsides. Classing is based on hp/wt ratio only...two cars in the same class can be on opposites ends of the spectrum as far as preparation. And without fail the low hp/low wt car will dust the high hp/high wt car even if in the same class.

The series really comes down to Porsches and BMWs (I'm aware of one MB and one Audi) neither marque is dominant. I might say the BMW is superior because it's easier to drive than a 911...less twitchy. But then most Porsches have monster torque that helps at turn exit. I think it comes down to this. A well driven Porsche in your class will be tough to catch, he's going to have to make a mistake or two.

Cheating is always possible but the GTS group are gentlemen. As GTS grows, it's going to get competitive. As it gets competitive, people are going to bend the rules. It appears GTS is taking the rules more seriously this year and there will likely be a dyno at the larger events.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:31 AM

Default I'd like to see Toyo or somebody become a title sponsor for GTS.

Perhaps we'll call it the 'Toyo Tires GTS Challenge'. Toyo can kick in some cash for all majore GTS races that have good participation, or at least tires. With large fields, maybe we can get on tv at the nasa nationals in a few years.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can't this weekend...

And I'm not sure when GTS is back at VIR.

-KJ
Old 02-16-2006, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i wonder if they would make me cover up my tire rack banner? ;-)

sort of like how scca makes people cover up nasa stickers...

Quick Reply: Noob daydreaming: What's the feedback on GTS Challenge (NASA)?