Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Ouch...threw a rod...potentially...on the race car at the track...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ouch...threw a rod...potentially...on the race car at the track...

Looks like the Audi may have to be used until the track car is repaired. Loud knocking sound when letting off the throttle...can feel vibrations in the gearshift ****.

Until this happened the car was doing real well at Buttonwillow...I was sharing the car with someone who transported it to the track.

Met Phil Usher, fellow S4 owner, while there...he was playing "connect the berms" in his rig.

Off to work....
Old 06-11-2001, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna take guess

Oil starvation? Missed shift?

Warren
Old 06-11-2001, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually, I'm going to limit that down to one

Miss shifted. I'm always afraid of doing this on my Type R. If I'm zinging along at 9k rpm, and grab the next lowest gear, some stuff a'gonna be flyin!

The other thing I fear in the Type R is hydrolock. My intake is pretty damn low to the ground. One really big puddle could punch a hole through the block. The heads tend to stay good though... Great...

Warren
Old 06-11-2001, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wisdom..

...isn't available, so you'll have to listen to me:

Steve - If it only knocks when you lift, don't lift. Haven't I taught you anything ? Welcome to the world of race car maintenance. You're in the banking business, so the phrase "Home Equity Loan" probably has meaning.

Warren - Time for a redux on the evils of "short-shift kits" ? The polite racer term for a missed shift is "zinger"....as in "...I grabbed for 4th but I got 2nd, and I didn't get my left foot back down quick enough, and I had a HUGE zinger and the tach needle was someplace over near the glove compartment...." BTW, you only do this in your own car....you NEVER admit to having a zinger in somebody else's car. Re: hydrolock - generally there is no standing water on race tracks, but take out a headlight and stick the intake runner there. Or move to the desert.
Old 06-11-2001, 08:33 AM

Default But John...

What makes you think he intends to stay ON the racetrack. My approach is that I paid to use the facility so I am entitled to use ALL the facility - grass, ditches, lakes?
Old 06-11-2001, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Zinger

Heh. I've done it before (my own car), but I've always managed to put the left foot down before it zipped past redline... I think. Having my face almost get planted to the window was reason enough for me to put the left foot back down.

I don't have a shift kit in the Type R, but it still makes me nervous :P Especially when it's still partially loaded up coming out of a corner, and you have to grab the next gear. The motor is tweaked, and there's a chance that the gates aren't where you expect them. I'll probably try to get the motor mounts in tonight, since the damn thing is on jackstands anyways. Schedule for tomorrow night is brake lines and pads.

I've almost got the suspension switched out, except Truechoice didn't send me 2 metal thick metal sleeves (for bushings), and some angled washers for the rear. Grr. The damn polyurethane bushings are softer than the stock bushings. I'm going next door the machine shop and seeing if they can make me some out of Delrin or metal if I bring in the polys. The Type R uses metal shock bushings. Nice =)

Warren
Old 06-11-2001, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cool, that machine shop is nice

It's right next door, and they do other car parts.

Hey John, remember how I said the ES Polyurethane control arm bushings crack? What do you think about Delrin instead? Will it crack under the load?

Warren
Old 06-11-2001, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Wisdom..

"If it only knocks when you lift, don't lift."

LOL! On a slightly serious note, last time at Thunderhill, my front brake pads were shot by the afternoon, so took one session at around 70%, seeing just how little braking I could get away with. Less gas on the straights of course, use the engine to brake into 9,14, hardly brake at all into turn 10, etc. Not something I'd like to do often but definitely enlightening!
Old 06-11-2001, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes, sounds like the tranny. Any sound with clutch in? Maybe just the clutch.
Old 06-11-2001, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oop, no delrin for me

I checked again w/ Steve Colletti and he's tried Delrin in the control arms before, and it ended up binding. Whoops.

I need to get some stiffer shock bushings though. Maybe just drill out the stockers.

Warren

Quick Reply: Ouch...threw a rod...potentially...on the race car at the track...