Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Pictures from Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2001, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laguna or not.. even in the rain thats too much damage. (more)

Just been to buttomwillow last weekend, and I'm the winner of most spin during the 2 day with 3 spin and 1 off the track. So that means the most everyone has spin is 2, and mostly on track. I blame my spins on not respecting the rain and driving like it was the dry, so its not the rain's fault. A good driver should adjust to the rain as I've just learned, and those who aren't so good its up the instructors to keep them in check with what ever means possible. Again I wasn't there but looking at the pics and the info you guys provided, I'm getting a picture that QCLUB is over loading the track with cars and not giving enough attention. Tell me it ain't so !!!!
Old 03-03-2001, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default buttonwillow is another "open track". Track wasn't "overloaded" at all, either.

Laguna Seca and Sears Pt. are both tracks that don't forgive you very much if you spin or go off-track. (hardly any runoff room)

Buttonwillow, Thunderhill, Pahrump, and others (I think Willow Springs, too) are considerably more forgiving to those that get "agricultural".

The Quattro Club event was not overloading the track at all - I think there were 25 cars on the track at once, at the MAX.

I think that all but one of the incidents occurred in the rain, too.

-Taner
Old 03-03-2001, 11:16 AM

Default I understand laguna eats cars, but its the driver who feed it to them

My 2 past track event was done in the rain. All the spin happened at the later event when I wasn't in the Audi. So when I was in the Audi, and also 1st time to a track event, I never spin. I'm not saying I'm a good driver all I'm saying is I didn't spin in the Audi is because of quattro, and also because I'm also kept in check by the crew. Rain does make cars spin more, and it is up to QCLUB to make sure the drivers understand whats out there. I'm just purely surprised by the amount of AWD cars that go off course. If that day wasn't a QCULB event but a rx-7 event, are we looking at more crashes? The track damage the cars but they don't make them spin, the driver does. In the end I just feel there are too many crashes (not damage because thats up to the track as you pointed out) for a AWD event. If a school knows they are on a track thats not so nice to off course, they should pay more attention to make sure the drivers aren't driving in a way that they are just asking for it. Also I don't think there is anything wrong with demanding a safer school, because thats what we all want.
Old 03-03-2001, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks steve for such a great event. Now if I only had nice pictures of me on the track :-(
Old 03-03-2001, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Yeah, I put one tire on those teeth at turn 8 the first session, and never again.
Old 03-03-2001, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool you're home. How long was the drive back, 4 hours
Old 03-03-2001, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually I think the biggest problem was because the frist day was DRY, so...

people got used to the speeds and lines for the dry, and then when it rained the next day, it threw everyone off...

Yes, of course it was the DRIVER's fault :-P

-Taner
Old 03-03-2001, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Unfortunately, the intermediate/advanced group is the scariest group...

We think we are better than everyone else because we think we have lots of track time and driving experience and we try to prove it Ego is one thing the QCUSA organizers try to control but that is up to the individual at times. The intructors and organizers did a very good job overall.

The A and B Novice group in the last QCUSA events I've attended really never get into these rumble zones. They are learning and being more cautious of their suroundings. Now, an overeager Novice with a super fast car and all the mods, well, that's a different story.

I got signed off to drive alone by two different instructors, but I told them I prefer an instructor all the time.
Old 03-03-2001, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's a great place to learn and an awesome track to drive. Just a bit more respect needed on the

sensitive zones, but if you drive it, you will love it
Old 03-03-2001, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thats a good point!!.....

It did make a difference, Sears from Laguna.

Sears Points first day rains scared the beejesuz out of you, but getting the 4 wheel drifting feel help tons on day 2.
But, you MUST learn the lines here!!

Similar was day 2 at Laguna Seca, sliding all over the place, made (for me) a much faster & controlled later day 2 sessions. Horse power would get you in trouble if you did'nt pay attention when Wet or Dry here at Laguna, pressing up that hill into 6.
I know of 3 spins here (2 damage, 3rd my intructor in the typeR w/ ME in it!! Yikes! 8-)

But, I'm in a 1.8, the people going off, where ALL potently powered! Or the A4 2.8 Avant (nameless 8-)
that tried tighter more aggressive line exiting T9 to see what addition exit speeds may result, well lets just say, those DAMN shark teeth are brutal.

I'm babbling....but, what an event!!
Glad nobody is injured!!
(as wise man told me, "it's only money")

Any way, I think the Instructors do an Excellent job!! Especially getting into cars, whos owners talk about ALL of thier mods, and then state......
"oh no, I've never been at a track event"

Nerves of Steel!!
Thanks everyone!!

Quick Reply: Pictures from Laguna Seca