Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

SCCA Question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SCCA Question?

I am obtaining my SCCA novice license and would like to know if I am allowed to use my personal car for the SCCS schools or is it required to rent a car to suit which ever class you plan on competing in? In additon, do we get (by any chance) credit for attending FATT (Friday @ the Track)? For those of you who have gotten your racing license any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-25-2001, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novice permits...

...are only necessary if your planning on attending an SCCA race school. An SCCA race school requires that you have a car prepped to SCCA GCR specs - log book, roll cage, 5 point harnesses, fire bottle or fire system. SCCA "street schools" don't require this level of prep, but you've indicated that you've gotten your Novice Permit....which means "race", not "street school".

There are people who can rent you a race car for an SCCA (or NASA or EMRA, etc.) school. Expect to pay $800-$1200 for a two-day school weekend for an Improved Touring or Showroom Stock rental. If you want something zoomier, it'll cost you more. FATT won't count toward your SCCA school requirement.

You don't need to complete your school in any particular type of car, regardless of what you ultimately want to compete in. You can complete your schools and get your Novice Permit "signed-off" (which means you can then race in Regionals) in a ratty ITC Ford Fiesta, and then appear at your first race in a Formula Atlantic....not a good idea, but you could do it.