Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Sears Point...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2000, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sears Point...

I'm sitting here in China, a little tired, but taking a break. Weather isn't bad here this trip, it was damn hot and damn humid last time I was here. :-P

Anyway, Sears Point sure is fun. It only took me a few laps to get the idea of where the fast line was, it was just a matter of doing it. Good thing the instructors went out first, it might have been difficult to instruct if one of the other groups was first. ;-)

I never did get a complete open lap to find my best lap time, but I recorded a 2:07 or something in my car (Sharon was faster, with a 2:05 in my car!). Of course, that's with passenger and lots of traffic (and no place to pass!). In the last session on the 2nd day, I ran a 2:01.11 in Sharon's car, with a passenger, and lifting quite a bit before the end of the pit wall at the beginning and end of that lap due to traffic. I figure with no passenger and an open track, I could probably get down to 1:58's pretty easily. Oh, that 2:01 also including me lifting some thru 9, I didn't want to scare my passenger going flat thru there. :-)

One thing is for sure, there is a lot of things around that track to distract you. Hillsides, walls, tire barriers, Coca-Cola signs, etc. Must concentrate. And in the rain, yikes, very dangerous. Too bad we had as many incidents as we did. I'm glad only people's egos were damaged (aside from the car damage).
Old 11-17-2000, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Did you ever uprate your springs? Or were you still riding on your old 700#/800# F/R's

I'm about to place an order with Vortrag on those coilovers. I'm sure the Avant rates are a bit different, but yours is a good baseline.

BTW, thanks for the ride. I think I have to dig out some harness belt strands out of my chest now :-)
Old 11-17-2000, 11:06 PM

Default I was still on the 700/800's.

Hopefully I'll see the new race coilovers in a couple weeks. I should definitely have them on the car for the Jan T'hill event. You can bet that I'll have Vortrag's adjustable upper control arms on my car by then, too. Having camber (on Sharon's car) sure is sweet!!!

Glad you had fun, that Jetta of yours handles pretty well (as long as it's dry!). The C group was definitely much better for you, the A group was just holding you back.

About your Avant spring rates, they're probably fairly similar to the sedan. I would probably recommend 650/750 if you're going with Vortrag's standard coilovers.