Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Sears Point was fun....Corey/Todd/Paul Lambert dicing it up....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You Wouldn't Be Dreaming, Lance . . .

. . . any nocturnal activity concerning my life would be a nightmare! :-) It's not easy to give up a partnership in a big law firm to become a struggling entrepreneur, especially when something like Sept. 11 happens.

Todd Serota
tserota@tracquest.com (high speed driver education)
tserota@vinoquest.com (wine business) tserota@adelphia.net (law firm and home) www.tracquest.com (TracQuest web site) www.tracquest.com/deboard (TracQuest message board)
www.vinoquest.com (VinoQuest web site)
Old 12-03-2001, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Apexes For Turns 2,3 and 4

The apex cone for Turn 2 was way too late - a good 10-15 feet. Same for the apex cone for Turns 3a and 4. And while we're talking about late apex cones, the apex cone in Turn 6 (the carousel) was a good 30-40 feet late! The correct apex is right under the bridge.

I'm assuming that whoever put them there knew they were too late, but did it for safety reasons. If so, I understand the theory, but don't agree with it. Students will drive the cones, and it's important for them to see - and feel - the track on the correct line. Hitting apexes way too late prevents students from doing this, and in the long run, I feel, slows down their learning curve.

As usual, my $1.380.

Todd Serota
tserota@vinoquest.com (wine business) tserota@adelphia.net (law firm and home) www.tracquest.com (TracQuest web site) www.tracquest.com/deboard (TracQuest message board)
Old 12-03-2001, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Good thing I remembered the apex cone from last year on the carousel...

And the one on 3 (but I didn't play with that one until the latter half of day 2). I could feel that the car didn't like the super late apexes, much like how it doesn't like early ones. I can't explain better, but the car somehow "resisted".

I also wish I had a gear called 2 1/2 on T3.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Apexes and Gearing

There's a good reason why your car doesn't like late apexes, Jyoteen. It's because you have to turn more in the initial part of the turn if you wait to turn in, and your car pushes more.

Re gearing, do you really wish you had different gearing for Turn 3? Turn 2 is where the problem is. For most cars, 2nd gear is on the high side (I used 2nd and am at redline right at the exit at the very end of the exit curbing) and 3rd gear is too low, leaving you with not enough torque to pull strongly out of the corner. Gearing for Turn 3 is solidly 3rd, as it's a lot faster than most people were taking it. It's a lot more banked than people realize and when you turn in, your car really "bites" against the side of the hill. Turn 3a, at the top of the hill, is also solidly a 3rd gear corner. Then Turn 4 is back to a decision. I use 2nd and again shift at the exit, but 3rd works better here than in Turn 2 because you're going downhill and pick up rpms more quickly. When I'm there for my event, I intend on trying both 2nd and 3rd through Turn 4 and noting my rpms/speed before I brake for the carousel. Using 2nd, I'm very close to redline in 3rd before braking, which is 102 mph. I'll see if I can duplicate that using 3rd through Turn 4. If so, why downshift?

Todd Serota
Old 12-03-2001, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glad to see you all had fun - no casualties I was told by my buddy Dave who was there friday....

Dave complimented the driving skills of Todd (as he described a real fast yellow Porsche, Sharon and Corey who he mentioned hauls azz and definety the fastest S4 on track! And Paul Lambert and the Stasis A4 which I had to correct him - that is not an S4 but my car on steroids! as he was lapping so fast!

He did get to ride with Mike Hoppen for a 15 min lap and they were duking it out with Todd at one point - lucky bastard - His jaws drop when the MTM RS4 opens up. He said they ran a 1:45? Ok, so this is the fastest R-S4 on track ;P

And he has videos! we'll try to get them uploaded to his website later. He's got quite a bit of pictures and some short clips. They looked pretty good when I viewed them on the TV.

Next year - I'll be there with them Kuhmo Ecsta V's - good to read Todd's review.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default lap times....lap times...

c'mon...SOMEONE had a timer didn't they?

our best was 1:30:7 in the Civic on that track config.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:26 AM

Default We didn't put ours up....Quattro Club doesn't permit them

(insurance y'know). For a lot of the event it was too damn wet or cold to sneak one out to the wall.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default hehehehe okay...I sure coulda used Quattro at T-hill on Saturday...

what a nightmare...I still wake up screaming at night ;-)
Old 12-03-2001, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was hangin' with my Bud geo, and was getting mid 1:40's w/ Sharon,Corey,Todd,RS4...

traffic as you all know does get in the way.
This was on friday.

I got to touch the RS4, and know a couple of guys who actually got rides. What a car.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default go up one level to see the Fri. pics + 3 quicktime movies :)

<ul><li><a href="http://www.funkadelic.org/gallery/qc_sears_point_2001">http://www.funkadelic.org/gallery/qc_sears_point_2001</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Sears Point was fun....Corey/Todd/Paul Lambert dicing it up....