Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Slightly off topic, but to fellow NorCal track drivers - if you miss Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-1999, 08:23 AM
Audiboy

Default Slightly off topic, but to fellow NorCal track drivers - if you miss Laguna Seca

during off season of not race track driving - and if you like Video games (playstation), I just got Gran Turismo 2 over Christmas and Laguna Seca rocks! It is pretty accurate - like the braking zones (I can hear Steve's voice while I'm driving - ahem playing. I haven't bought an A4 or S4 (in the video game), but a stock 2.0L Bug game me a track time of around 2 minutes. I just can't seem to find the center tree in the corkscrew :-)
Old 12-27-1999, 09:02 AM
Goku

Default After a weekend...

I have all the licenses except for the last one. It looks harder than the others but not that bad. I have an S4 but i'm afraid to say to doesn't compare to my Skyline or Mitsubishi Evo VI. So it doesn't get driven much. IMO, GT was a more difficult game.

My favorite course is Seattle It's very accurate right down to the jail. My least favorite is Rome...too easy!
Old 12-27-1999, 09:41 AM
Audiboy

Default Curious, do they close off streets in Seattle for any racing? They do it in Vancouver.

my least favorite is Tahiti - maybe cuz it doesn't look like a track. I like Laguna Seca, the Japan MiddleField and Seattle (too).

And take me to my old time favorites - Trial Mountain and Deep Forrest, my stage II modified VW bug kicks 450hp cars butt! I only wish I had a steering wheel and racing seat with force feedback.. Maybe I'll install my Rallye 4 seat harness in my living room and drive with my Bell he he.
Old 12-27-1999, 09:57 AM
Goku

Can you recommend a good FR car?
Old 12-27-1999, 10:37 AM
Audiboy

Default Since I haven't bought any cars aside from the Mazda GTX (used car to start with)...

and a VW bug because my GF likes one,

I do not have a lot of rear drivers to start with except for what I won, such as the Racing Silvia - which has very good front/rear balancing, weights 2100 lbs and 400hp - can you say rocket ship! and a Nismo 400R - which I have to change the transmission to a close ratio, because everytime it shifts, I loose so much boost and the thing takes forever to pick up again.

I generally like the Nissan rear drivers. I hate the Supra and the Viper as they are so front heavy (and from my first GT, I could never get the 910 hp Supra to give me the best time except for the oval track.)

I have not touched the Euro ones, but they all seem too heavy to start with, but I like the Corvette C5 too - good hp and nice balance, easy to drift around in with good control.

But, I like the turbo rear wheel drives cars better because they really zoom the long straights with a close ratio tranny setting, and the blow off valves are just killer - specially with Dolby surround sound (whooosh!!) he he.

But, once I get my credits up to 1 million, I'll start buying all kinds of cars. I wonder how many will fit in the memory card? I had 80 cars in GT1, and 6.5million in credits after 3000 GT days. I only have 100 so far on GT2, working on the IA lisence tonight.

Did you rallye yet?
Old 12-27-1999, 11:24 AM
Goku

Default I rallied my Skyline GTR Vspec.

but the Skyline is no rally car. I bought a Mitsu Evo last night but I haven't raced it yet. FR is the only series I haven't tried yet. I think I'll go with the Silvia, can't beat the turbocharged cars. I have only 87 days so far. I have only needed the use of 2 cars so far, 300 HP Civic and 500+ HP Skyline. Yes the sound of the blow off valve with a good sound system is intoxicating! Makes me want to put one on my A4 in real life. But no, I won't.
Old 01-02-2000, 10:16 AM
PhilJ

Default If you miss Laguna Seca even more, you can go to a HPDE school on Jan 15th.

Unfortunately, it's on the same weekend as the QCUSA event at Thunderhill!

My buddy is taking his new Viper GTS to Laguna Seca, and he's trying to get me to go with him.
And it also happens to be the only NASA HPDE event at Laguna Seca for the entire year!

And I missed the Laguna Seca event last year...

Decisions, decisions!

-PhilJ