Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Thunderhill was fun this past weekend..and actually not that wet.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thunderhill was fun this past weekend..and actually not that wet.

Fun seeing a lot of Audiworlders out there on the track. My miata stunk in the rain..but that was expected...finally dried up good in the afternoon of the second day...and I got the air pressures in the desirable range..and the car was actually doing well. Still couldn't compete with the 250-400 bhp all-wheeled drive quattros on the straights..but what the hell..I gave them a run..in the dry...in the corners. :-)

Nice meeting you SacS4 (aka Gary), your girlfriend, the Bauer clan, nice to see you Paul@Tantrumwerks...nice car you got there. Nice to see jyoteen make the truck up from LA again, and Morgan in his Spec Miata, Pete S in his S4. Also nice to see Mike and Leslie from Sideline Sports Photography in their new multi-million dollar rig (well, maybe not that nice..but it looked real nice). Lastly, watching Christian Miller ...make that LISTENING to Christian Miller manhandle his E46 M3 through the corners was quite entertaining...thanks for the memories Christian.

One last thing..I got to drive a friends pretty modified Evo this past weekend...jesus..I gotta get me one of those things. He had a different intercooler on it..Ohlins...275 tires..yes, I said 275s. Better brakes...cams...and was futzin with his manual boost controller.

I don't know about you folks..but I was really expecting the worst in terms of weather..so to me this weekend was frickin great.

Glad everyone escaped unscathed...well, except for Bauer and his escapade on the inside of turn #3. I think he has the January track record for most mud in the brake/suspension section of his car. Ben's new name is Captain Mud.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glad to hear it was a good weekend.

Who's evo? Sounds pretty fast!

Ben, sorry about the mud
Old 01-10-2005, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Evo info

It was Sean McKenzie's (sp?) Evo. He use to be a TT Coupe guy...sold the Audi...drives the Evo..and can't stop modifying it...got the Evo Mod bug real bad.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cool.

I know there are a some quick evos out there. What's the story on those cars keeping motors and gearboxes together?
Old 01-10-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Thanks to Mike and Niello

Mike Fallis has done a great job of getting Niello Audi support for these events. Niello provided lunch both days, and Mike brought along a couple of Niello's techies for free advice.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2005, 03:35 PM

Default first two run groups on Sunday morning was pretty much a winter driving school..

the only cars with traction were running their winter snow tires. Me I was on summer only tires, pretty fun slidding through T1 @ 50 +, as well as most of the other turns. I didn't hear a complaint all weekend. Good fun for all.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Cool.

Hey Steve it's Sean.

That was a fun time.Good seeing everyone out there.

As far as keeping the car goes, I've ran my car pretty hard for multiple days now and the only issues with it are:

1)brakes-it needs more. even with the stock tires(which are pretty soft to start).
but with the bigger ra-1's it's really in need.
going to 6-pot alcons with 355mm rotors to see if I can solve this once and for all.

2)lower intercooler hose(this weekend).
since the i/c is mounted to the frame and the motor twists with torque it's pulling the hose apart. heavier mounts and a better samco hose should do the trick.

3)gas- it uses WAY too much

the motor and tranny are doing fine. I know that the transfer cases are going in cars
that are launching at the drags. if you get wheel hop and you're not back on the clutch quick enough
you snap gears.

all said, a very fun car. still playing with the suspension and getting used to it, but i'm learning.

Sean
Old 01-11-2005, 10:42 AM

Default That thing was friggin' fast! Made me for the first time wander...

what the heck am I doing in an S4! That thing shot around the track!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default You noob..you need to post under my post..not under Pat's

Must be the jacket affecting your behavior.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

...and the gloves that match the jacket!

Quick Reply: Thunderhill was fun this past weekend..and actually not that wet.