Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Took the plunge....A group of us just bought a 1984 Rabbit GTI for a project/track car

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2000, 01:18 PM
Steve S.

Default Took the plunge....A group of us just bought a 1984 Rabbit GTI for a project/track car

So, the three of us were sitting around working on my S4 putting in the new stock rotors and new front brake pads ....we decided to go for a test drive when we were done. Almost back at my house we spot a GTI for sale...through the rain drenched window we see a blurry for sale sign indicating $750. We all look at each other and smile. We call the owner...find out the major "known" things wrong with the car, and promise to call and come by today to look at the car.

Sunny out today...go by to see the car...decide that it would indeed be a decent purchase for a possible entry in the GTI cup held out here in the west. I also called the infamous John/TSR for his thoughts. To make a long story short John said that we would be chumps not to get the car. So, with this knowledge I made an offer on the car for $600, and the owner reluctantly took it.

A White 1984 VW GTI 8V is now in parked in front of my house.

My partners in this endeavour are the S4 owners (Sharon Levy and Corey S). We will keep you folks apprised of our development as things progress. Before and after pictures will be taken.

Keep tuned.

Steve S.
00 S4
84 GTI
Old 02-21-2000, 01:42 PM
Todd Serota (L.A.)

Default Congrats! The First Person You Need To Call Is . . .

. . . my friend Raffi Kazanjian, who owns a company called Eurosport, and is one of my regular instructors at my TracQuest DE events. His number at Eurosport is (714) 630-1574. Tell him I sent you. Raffi races a GTI and knows everything there is to know about setting one up for the track. Corey and Sharon will get to meet him on March 6 at my Willow Springs event, as all three will be there instructing. In fact, I'd suggest that Corey and Sharon go out for rides with him in his GTI, to get a good idea of what a well prepared example can do.

Best of luck with the project - sounds like a blast!

Todd Serota
tserota@primenet.com (law firm and home)
tserota@vinoquest.com (wine business)
tserota@tracquest.net (high speed driver education)
Old 02-21-2000, 02:08 PM
ChuckH

Default Fun, fun, fun! Do I smell a VR6 conversion or G60...

...a roll cage, and other neat toys? How about a 6 speed gearbox? Weeeee!!! :-)
Old 02-21-2000, 03:49 PM
Warren Wang

Default Mmmm, yummy

I've been thinking about a second car for some time now. Something that'll be a reliable and fun track/auto-x car. I've been eyeing E30 M3's, or maybe an old GTI. If I want to splurge, I'd go with a used Type-R.

One day I'll buy a house too... Somewhere...

John's probably chuckling right now as he reads this thread.

Young and foolish forever, hopefully,
Warren
Old 02-21-2000, 06:05 PM
John/TSR

Default Hey...don't blame me....I'm on the other coast...and all I said was...

...you should have C-H-U-M-P tattoo'ed backwards on your forehead (so you could read it in the mirror every morning) if you DIDN'T buy this car. The GTi gear box alone is worth $500 core. You can parts out the whole damn car for twice what you paid for it....but the three of you should beat it to death on the track first, then parts it out.

Let see...you bought this car for what Sharon mentioned you could get 2 sets of Carbotech brake pads for.....hmmmm.....if you throw it away after 1-2 track days you're still ahead....hmmmm....

BTW, I gave you the number for Ken at IO-Port Racing for Autopower cages...Ken is also the "Chief Tech-terrorist" (his words) for NASA, so he can probably give you good advice on GTi Cup prep levels.

Two friends of mine who normally run SCCA Sports 2000 Lola's just bought an ex-Golf Cup car to run in enduro's - looks like we're gonna have a 1 Nissan/3 VW's car team at the 12 Hour at Summit Point in June (I'll be in the Nissan, and my white Golf GTi ITB car will be driven by 3 other (hopefully...) careful drivers. VW's Rule. Audi's are a close second....they're almost the same thing.

Warren ****: Get a fireproof costume...we're gonna need another fueler at Summit! 4 cars = busy pits
Old 02-21-2000, 06:08 PM
but I can't do BOTH !!! (nt)

Default I wanna be a race car driver when I grow up...

Guess who...
Old 02-21-2000, 07:07 PM
The Devil on Steve's Shoulder

Default or G60 with the 5v head... hmm... (nt)

nt
Old 02-22-2000, 01:02 AM
Warren Wang

Default Can I borrow a balaclava to drive around and frighten the kiddies in the neighborhood?

I'd probably be shot.

Living 5 miles from the home of the NRA,
Warren
Old 02-22-2000, 03:44 AM
JayP

Default I like how you rationalized that-

PEER PRESSURE!

Heck- I'd bought that car for $600... if nothing else to cut the exhaust to see how loud it would be.
Old 02-22-2000, 08:15 AM
KJK

Default Steve, one at Sears this weekend..

Must have been an instructor's car because those were the only non-BMW's. The thing was quick is all I can say. Of course, the instructors are great drivers but nevertheless (I let an instructor in an 2002 pass me because he was pestering me in the corners)it was still fast. I wonder if you could email J. Grinstead from BMWCCA and get his number or email. It was set up for some kind of racing because it had the class stickers on it.

BTW, I was totally impressed by the way the school was conducted--especially in the rain on Sunday. Sears Point is like ice when wet. They actually just coned off the dragstrip. I guess two cars hit the wall there doing only 30mph a few years back. What a great track. I am going to try to do a Nasa event there soon.

KJK
91 M5

Quick Reply: Took the plunge....A group of us just bought a 1984 Rabbit GTI for a project/track car