Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

track brake pad advice needed...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default track brake pad advice needed...

I'm installing the ECS Tuning Stage II brake kit this weekend (Boxster calipers and slotted A8 rotors) and they came with Mintex RedBox pads. I also picked up a pair of Mintex for the rear. Should I look into getting different pads for the track? Should I get new front and rear, or just front? Any suggestions on better track pads and the best place to get them would be great.

thanks... josh
Old 03-06-2002, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Mintex Reds are the ones you want for the track...

...You need to get a set of OEM pads for the road, otherwise the brakes are gonna howl like a banshee. That, IMO, is just not tolerable for everyday driving. The OEM pads give great street performance, and keep the noise to a minimum.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would say yes

I've used C Techs on an A4 at the track, and they cracked and seperated from the backing plate. Other folks have had good experience with them, so take that with a grain of salt.

The Boxster calipers make it really easy to change pads. Just get a set of real track pads. I'll nominate Hawk Blues, or Carbotech XP if you are on r compounds. Porterfield R4's are nice too, but they are mega bucks. If you go the Hawk Blue route, change them out at the track, and change them out before you drive home, and wash the dust away asap. Otherwise you'll have rusty aluminum wheels. Pagid Oranges are also really nice, but they are about $200 an axle...

Warren
Old 03-06-2002, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I had Redbox on my BMW and they were silent with no dust..

I loved them. I have ordered C-Tech 1155's for my car for the track and will be running the 1144's in the rear. I have 4 pot ATE's and can switch pads quite easily like a Porsche caliper.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:56 AM

Default Pagid Orange for track...

Pagid *street* Blacks for highway driving. Count me as a happy user. Worth the money, goof wear characteristics, get up to temp fast. Check around on the Web for deals--try the Porsche sites. East Coast-- Weston Motorsports in Pa.

Lee in D.C.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:43 AM
Rest In Peace

Huh? Mintex reds crumble at the track.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:55 AM

Default I have to disagree

I dissolved a set in my old A4 at the track. They'd go even faster on the S4.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:07 AM

Default sharon, which pads are you using?

I'll be using Mintex RedBox for the street, but I want different pads for the track. Which pads are you using for the track and should I get new pads for the front only or the rear too?

thanks... josh
Old 03-06-2002, 09:12 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've seen someone go through a set of those in less than a day at the track...

...they are probably the least trackable brake pad out there.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:26 PM

Default Ferodo and Pagid

FRP3000 are in the front right now, they have a street compound that's been good for autox and a race compound for the track. I've got some Pagid's in the back (RS4-4).

Ferodo is not a typical compound for stock calipers, though (is that what you have?). Pagid RS-14 still remain the household favorite for the track, though.

Yes, swap pads from street to track, otherwise you'll be unhappy with the performance at one or the other. If you upgrade the rears to a good pad, you may be able to just leave those in for both, though. But if you are ambitious and have good forearm stamina, swap the rears too.

Quick Reply: track brake pad advice needed...