Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Track question: PDA is hosting an event @ Summit Point Raceway, WV. Is it worth to visit this track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track question: PDA is hosting an event @ Summit Point Raceway, WV. Is it worth to visit this track?

I've never been to this track before.
It is supposed to be a 14 turn road race track with a 3000ft straightaway. Sounds interesting.

Car to be driven there is an Audi allroad RS4 Spec., so not really a short wheelbase car.

Just would like to get an idea about the track design. 1 or 2 Tight turns would be O.K., more than that could be a real Tire Killer and not much fun to drive this boat anyway.
Should this track turn out to be similar to Pocono East then I'll better skip and take the Glen again.

Thanks for any advise/recommendation!!!
Old 07-23-2005, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I have track tape of John/TSR on Summit Point...looks worth it to me...

Go for it.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An allroad on the track...sweet!
Old 07-24-2005, 06:56 AM
Rest In Peace

Default It's a very fun track. There's all sorts of variety.

The main straight is fairly long and is fed by a nice sweeper. There is a tight technical section on the backside that can be difficult if your car understeers. There is a good amount of elevation change. Track surface is average, but fine where it counts.

If you want more commentary, ask in the MidAtlantic forum. People there can point you to plenty of in-car footage if you like.

Anyway, if you're interested in running that track, the Audi Club does an event there annually, I think in October. Look into it.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:14 AM

Default It's a good track. However, I would suggest a different club for your first event

PDA has been known to put people on the track without any instruction. This is usually a bad thing. I would really suggest going with the Audi club, BMW club or Porsche club for your first event.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Track question: PDA is hosting an event @ Summit Point Raceway, WV. Is it worth to visit this tr

Check out the link for the Summit Point website; you can find track maps there. There are three tracks at Summit: the 2.1 mile Main Course, 10 turns with the 3000 ft. straight; the Jefferson Circuit, about 1.1 miles and 7 turns which is a "training" course; and the new Shenandoah Circuit which is the one the PDA event is being held on. The SC is about 2 miles, lots of turns but no 3000 ft. straight. It's VERY technical from the reports I've heard; I haven't driven it yet myself, but I don't think you'd have fun on it with an Allroad.

Potomac Chapter of ACNA will be on the main course 3-4 October. I'd recommend you sign up for that instead.<ul><li><a href="http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/">http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 07-25-2005, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ?

Never heard of PDA sending noobs out without instructors...and I've know the PDA guys for years, been their 'Chief Instructor' at one track for a few years, etc. etc. etc.

Have you ever run with them ?

On the question of 'Summit Point - Yes or No' - The 'Big Track' at Summit is a great course for learning the fundamentals, and 'consequence'. The twisty bits on the backside all 'connect', so a mistake in one leads to you being screwed up for the next 2-3 corners. IMO, it's the best 'school' track facility on the east coast (and I'm 6+ hours away from there, so I'm not some local, pimping my home track).
Old 07-25-2005, 06:31 AM

A student told me that. But I'm very happy to be proven wrong.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:48 AM

Default This isn't my first event ;-) 20 Years+ of Rally Driving should be good enough.

I just don't know the track.
The main challenge is to find out if this track is worth it to utilize my fast Grocery Hauler ;-)
Should be fun, Thanks!
Old 07-27-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Thank you very much, that is exactly what was needed for this assessment.

The Shenandoah Circuit is for sure not a good match for a long wheelbase car, maybe an S2 or Cooper would be a nice match.

That means we'll go back to the Glen because the car (allroad) hasn't been track tested yet after the RS4 upgrades.
And that is the main purpose why I'm looking for a fitting track since I still have 2 paid PDA days to utilize.
Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Track question: PDA is hosting an event @ Summit Point Raceway, WV. Is it worth to visit this track?