Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Ugh....steering rack issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ugh....steering rack issues?

Thought some of you more experienced road racers would be able to help me out with diagnosing a problem I am having with my E30 325i. After getting it cosmetically repaired (after my front end collision)...I took it out in my neighborhood for a quick trip around the block. Well, I noticed that the steering wheel is pointed about 20-25 degrees left when I am driving straight ahead. My question is...is there something wrong with the steering rack? Can I just take off the steering wheel and remount it straight...or is something potentially bent in there? Again, this isn't my S4...this is a BMW e30 325i.

Any help on where to get started would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to change the steering rack if I don't have to.

Oh yeah...the Audi content in this post? it is in my signature... :-)
Old 04-25-2001, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default They can fix that with an alignment. You can take out the wheel and turn it a notch to get it...

more straight. The rest of the fine tuning will come from adjusting the tie rods. But from the accident, your caster may be off more on one side, hence the crooked wheel too. I suggest a quick trip to Custom Alignments (unless you wanna do a ball and string alignment, come over :P )
Old 04-25-2001, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm, only cosmetic repairs?

If no alignment was done, it sounds like you might have a bent something =( Go get an alignment done, and crawl around underneath to check for bent bits and pieces.

Warren
Old 04-25-2001, 08:20 AM

Default Hmm... asking about bent steering in the Racing forum

It looks like I'm not the only one who thinks these guys crash too much to be healthy. Of course I'm just one small bit away from being as nuts. Must... keep... sanity. Resist... futile... So, anyone sign up for the 2-day school at Thunderhill yet?
Old 04-25-2001, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Audiboy...I may need your help...I just talked with John/TSR about it....I need to check camber

I need to see if camber is more than 3 degrees negative...if it is...I need to lessen it to 3 degrees. I want total toe out to be 1/8" (both wheels at 1/16 if possible). John thinks that the body shop guys undid something...and I can just loosen one bolt 3 turns...and tighten another bold 3 turns...and straighten the wheel. You got any plans for Saturday afternoon. I will buy the beer and pizza!!! (after Speedring of course...can't do Sunday...due to the autox)
Old 04-25-2001, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Saturday afternoon? I thought that was NorCal SpeedRing. I'll call you tonight...

Saturday morning, I'm checking Adam's suspension. I'm also taking off my 19mm swaybar just for AutoX.
Old 04-25-2001, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Easier said than done...my car is not street legal...and I don't own a trailer

Getting an alignment done at a shop...is actually kind of a pain...and expensive with the trailer rental and all.
Old 04-25-2001, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Oops, missed the rest of the message about SpeedRing. I'll see you there. I'll spectate :P
Old 04-25-2001, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OIC

I thought you bought a truck and trailer. Didn't realize they were rented.

Hmm... Well, you can still put it up on jackstands and see if any suspension bits are bent up. Check the tie rods.

You know Steve, if you just bought a quick release steering wheel, you wouldn't notice this... Oh, and you could climb into the car easier...

Don't worry, I promise that Uncle Warren will explain to your kids why all their clothes came from the Salvation Army.

Warren
Old 04-25-2001, 11:33 AM

Default Sorry to hear it Steve.

This could be minor or major. Probably it's best to have the full alignment checked. I had a right front wheel with bad camber and toe after a front end collision in a VW Passat. It pulled a tad and I had the same off-center wheel as my only real symptoms. After some miles, the right front tire was thrashed so I had the alignment checked. After that, it was fine again.

Best of luck,
Rich

Quick Reply: Ugh....steering rack issues?