Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Well, Metal Masters just don't cut it on the track (TWS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-1999, 09:38 AM
Todd W

Default Well, Metal Masters just don't cut it on the track (TWS)

I had a great time at the TWS event in Texas this past weekend. One thing that is blatantly obvious is that Metal Masters pads are NOT capable of hard track use. They stopped pretty well, but the pad material EVAPORATED off. I had plenty of pad before the event (maybe 60%) but in the afternoon of the second day I was metal-to-metal on the fronts. My rims are BLACK and the holes in my drilled rotors are filled with pad material. Some of you have had the same problems with C-techs, and I have heard other bad things about them, so I will probably try Pagids next. Saving $100 on pads once is not worth an extra $200 in rotors PLUS $100 in pads every track event.

Needless to say, I was being VERY hard on the brakes.

Todd W
86 5KTQ running again, finally - needs front brakes
83 UrQ not running, again - needs everything
Old 10-25-1999, 10:45 AM
ErikR

Default Well, Metal Masters just don't cut it!...

I used these on my 323gtx (which was way underbraked for racing). These pads were talked-up by just about everyone, but boy did they suck, IMHO! They only thing they did well was not fade or squeel. They wore fast, very laggy non-linear response, almost no cold-streetability. I switched to Porterfield r4s (street) and R4 (track) and loved them.
Old 10-25-1999, 10:52 AM
Geza

Default Porterfield R4's are awesome!

Did Watkins Glen and Summit Point and still have 1/2 the pad left. No fade and great feel; you get what you pay for!
Old 10-25-1999, 11:34 AM
antony

Where can I buy Porterfield R4s?
Old 10-25-1999, 01:44 PM
Todd W

What else have you tried?
Old 10-25-1999, 03:11 PM
Warren Wang

Default Re: Well, Metal Masters just don't cut it on the track (TWS)

They're fine on the street, but I've seen many cars with Metal Masters fade. BIG TIME fade, as in sliding off the track fading. I've got a friend with a modded Eclipse, and god only knows why, but he put in Metal Masters, twice. He (and some other better drivers) can get the pads to cook even in an auto-x. Oh, and at Summit, they caught on fire, in his car and in 2 others that I've seen.

These things are *** if you're talking about performance braking.

Warren
Old 10-25-1999, 08:45 PM
Harvey

Default Re: Well, Metal Masters just don't cut it on the track (TWS)

Good move to go to Pagid's. Try "orange" compound for street&track use.I have A8 rotors w/orange pads,stainless lines,& Motul fluid.A4 brakes now at 85% of my M3's brakes. If you do lots of track use Pagid "blue" compound.Tried Porterfield's& found them to eat rotors 2x as fast as Pagid's.
Old 10-25-1999, 09:45 PM
Lucas

Default You want to play, you have to Pay!

I have run several different Pads at tracks, they all will were on Slotted and drilled Rotors.
They are designed to do that.
I now run 2 diffrent Pad, ones for street use on a daily basis, then use a race pad for track work.
The Track Pads cost me equivalent of US$65.
They last about 2 Track days.
The cost of tire wear makes pads usuge cheap!
Old 10-26-1999, 02:58 AM
Geza

Default www.porterfieldbrakes.com

nt
Old 10-26-1999, 03:07 AM
Geza

Default I used the...

factory pads/rotors/fluid at Limerock (which was fine as Limerock is easy on brakes). Switched to the Porterfields for Watkins Glen; I remember last year at the Glen, A4's were having all kinds of brake problems (fade, boiling over fluids, etc). WG is really hard on brakes (IMHO), much harder than Summit Point, and the R4's did the job! The ATE slotted rotors (track use only) are a bit scored, but still working fine. I'm very pleased with this setup and will continue to use it. I'm also using the ATE Blue fluid.

Geza
99.5 Avant 2.8qMS

Quick Reply: Well, Metal Masters just don't cut it on the track (TWS)