Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

What's the best wheel/tire combo for the street and occasional track use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-1999, 11:55 PM
Al

Default What's the best wheel/tire combo for the street and occasional track use?

TIA
Old 05-20-1999, 08:35 AM
Corey S

Default Don't know what's best, but here's what I used, and liked....

I was running 17" x 8" Antera wheels with 225/45ZR17 Bridgestone S-02 Pole Positions.<br>Dry traction was very good, and wet traction was phenomenal (relative to other tires).<br>And with about 8 or 9 track days, 10 or 11 autocrosses, and everyday driving, I still got<br>22,000 miles out of these things. I really can't say enough about them.<p>Corey S<br>Wett 97 1.8tqm --> Now running 18" S-02's for street, 17" g-Force R1's for race.
Old 05-20-1999, 02:36 PM
qt4lddht

Default Corey, a question

Since I seem to be pissing people off (what else is new, right?!) by questioning their choices of 18" fitments, I thought I'd ask someone who knows from experience. Do you find the 18" size less appropriate for the track? Is that why you went with the 17" size for the g-Force R1s? (AWESOME competition rubber, BTW; I totally support both your tire choices!) And are you finding the 18" Pole Positions better or worse than 17" for just running around the streets? What width are the 18s (wheels/tires) and are you running an OEM or a modified suspension? Details!<p>Thanks and I apologize for implying anything. :-) I anxiously await your response....<p>-- David F.<br>1.8TqMS<br>87 325is
Old 05-21-1999, 08:35 AM
Kev

Default Get a different set of wheels/tires for track use...

I had my stock Dunlop SP8000 and the sports package wheels for both street and track (4-5 times a year) use, and I TOTALLY destroyed the tires, and the rims are badly scratched by gravel next to the track. So when I got my R-28's, I put a set of Yoko A032 on the 16' stock sports package wheels for track use. They grip much better, and you don't really have to "look after" them since they are racing tires. Maybe you are thinking that, "I'm not going to push that hard on the track, so I can use the stock tires." That's what I was thinking too, but once I was out in the track, I was having so much fun and just wanted to push harder and harder...Gary@Ronal was surprised by my VERY worn SP8000, and I was probably lucky that they didn't blow before I got the new R28's with new tires.<p>Maybe its going to cost some extra money, but its so worth it. <p>Kev
Old 05-21-1999, 09:04 AM
Todd W

Default I use Yoko AVS Intermediates

Expect only 6 months out of them, but they hold up on the track better than any other $100 tire (205/60-15). Also, they're cheaper and last longer than track tires.<p>Eventually I'll get a second set of rims, but for now this is the best compromise that I could find. I'm not going to get track tires until I'm really pushing street tires all the way around the track.<p>Todd W
Old 05-21-1999, 07:42 PM
Al

Default Re: Get a different set of wheels/tires for track use...

Yeah, I was thinking of using my stock sport suspension wheels/tires for my upcoming track session. I've already got over 20000 miles on my car and am not sure how much longer they will last afterwards. So I am gonna get a new set of wheels and tires. So far, people have told me that 18 inchers aren't good for the track. But they look good on the street! So I may get some 18s for street and keep stock 16s for track. Should I stay with 205/55 or get something bigger? TIA<p>Albert
Old 05-23-1999, 03:44 AM
Kev

Default Great idea...(more)

Yea, 18's for street and 16's for track, definitely best combo. <p>I'm running Yoko A032R 225/45 on my 16's sports package wheels. My tire shop said that 225 is the widest I can get from those rims. <p>Get a copy of the newest European Cars, they have a GREAT section on racing tires. <p>Kev<br>
Old 05-23-1999, 09:56 PM
Corey S

Default Ok, I'm back, was out of town and away from computers for the weekend....

I didn't notice you pissing people off, I guess I need<br>to catch up with the Forum, eh? Now to address the ?'s.<p>I am running H&R coilovers on my 97 1.8tqm. I totally<br>love them, although recently am noticing that the shock<br>dampening is pretty worn out. Performance is still<br>way better than stock, but the car dips further on bumps<br>and waves on the road, and has more body roll than it<br>did when I first got them. I don't think there is a <br>way to redo the seals or valves or whatever. Anyway,<br>separate issue.<p>I totally agree with you about tracking the 18's. It<br>shouldn't be done, unless you have a full racing suspension<br>setup. H&R coilovers are far from that. They do find<br>on the street, and don't really feel any different than<br>the 17's I was running, except over washboard type bumps.<br>They don't necessarily get out of control on these, but<br>in corners with washboards, the car won't track exactly<br>how you want it to. It's probably from the lack of<br>sidewall height, so the tire doesn't absorb these<br>types<br>of bumps as well. So far I dig the 18" setup I have<br>(the tires are actually the regular S-02's, I would've<br>gotten PP's, but they don't make them in 225/40/18),<br>because they don't feel much different than the 17"<br>setup, and they look totally bitchin'!! The wheel<br>size is 18" x 8.5" ET 34mm.<p>I've just run one autocross event with the R1's, they<br>freakin' stick!! Oh my. I had to change my driving<br>style a little to adapt to the way they handle, and<br>finally posted a time faster than the current CSP leader<br>(I'd only gotten as close as about 1.5 seconds in the<br>past on the 17" PP's).<p>Corey<br>Wett 97 1.8tqm<p>Off to Mississippi for 3 days. Why? (you ask) ;-)
Old 05-26-1999, 03:37 PM
qt4lddht

Default Thanks, Corey...

That finally gives me enough detail to talk intelligently about OEM sport 16" vs. aftermarket 17" & 18" setups. I, personally, still probably wouldn't go 18x8.5 on the street, but nice to know with a reasonable suspension drop and 225mm width tires (and ET 34), it DOES clear the bodywork!<p>And I'm glad we agree about the track. Thanks again for the data and enjoy those MONSTERS!<p>-- David F.<br>1.8TqMS<br>87 325is