Anyone very familiar with Status Auto Service in Londonderry?... (more inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone very familiar with Status Auto Service in Londonderry?... (more inside)

Here's my dilemma. I purchased an A4 Avant 1.8TQM from a private party in MA. The timing belt was replaced at Status at 64k miles.

Currently, the vehicle has 79k miles on it, and I took it into the local Audi dealer to have the timing belt inspection done, in order to extend the warranty on timing belt related issues to 105k. They told me that the timing belt is fraying, and that they can not extend the warranty because of this without replacing it.

So, my question is: Does anyone know whether Status offers any sort of warranty on their work? I've heard nothing but great things about them... 15k for a timing belt seems REALLY short to me.

I will give them a call later on today, but am wondering if anyone has had any similar issues.
Thanks.

** EDIT ** I called Status, and they recommended getting a second opinion, which I'm now doing. Please do not see this post as an attack on Status or Tony in any way. I was merely trying to get a feel for whether there are any others who have experiences with the shop, who may have been through a situation like this. Everything that I've read about Status, both here and elsewhere has been positive. ** END EDIT **
Old 09-18-2008, 07:00 AM

Default Give Tony a call and see what he says. Do you have receipts of the previous

owners TB replacement done there? I use Tony for all the stuff I can't do or just simply don't want to do.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm sure most can offer info about Status or any other shop regularly listed here on AW

Inspecting the belt should be easy to do to verify the Audi Dealer inspection.

IF the belt is fine, I'd name the dealer and escalate the situation for your goal of coverage.

I WOULD keep in mind that shops (dealer or not) aren't into warranting 'others" work.

so, see what the dealer issue is.

IF they claim the belts frayed and its NOT, that's pure lying and deceptive practice IMHO.

INSPECT the belt either with Status or an indy...even the dealer.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I do have the invoice...plan to call later today...

From what I've seen here, Tony does nothing but good work. Part of the issue is that I am living in Wisconsin, so it's not practical for me to just swing by Status to have them check it out.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks... I understand that this is a bit of a sticky situation...

As mentioned in the other reply, I'm currently in Wisconsin, so it's not practical for me to stop in at Status to have them look at it.

I understand that neither the dealer nor Status will just say, "Yup, you're right, 15k is too short, we'll replace it for free".
However, I'm hoping that maybe we can figure something out.

I agree that if the belt is NOT frayed that the local dealer is simply trying to take me for a ride. If that's the case, I will be sure to escalate it with AOA. Along those lines, I did not tell them that the belt had been replaced at 60k until AFTER they came back with the "frayed" diagnosis, and they may have initially assumed that it was the original TB at 79k miles... I really hope that that's not the case.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default call him and talk to him about it...

something you should have done before making this post.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I called this morning... No disrespect meant here...

Sorry to any who may have found this offensive or incriminating. Again, I have heard nothing but good things about Tony and Status, and don't mean to state that there was any wrongdoing here. I will edit my original post to reflect that more clearly.

I called Status this morning...Did not talk to Tony, but someone else. He said that he was very skeptical of a "frayed" timing belt, especially at 15k miles, and that I should get a second opinion.

Currently the car is at my local independent shop, where they're taking a look at it. I did have a chance to take a look at the belt while I was at the dealership, and there are some small signs of fraying along the engine side of the belt. No cracking, or anything like that. However, per Audi's guidelines, they could not extend the warranty with the belt in the current condition, and they still recommended that the belt be replaced.