Direct Tire told me all 4 of my wheels were bent, are they just trying to sell wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct Tire told me all 4 of my wheels were bent, are they just trying to sell wheels?

First off, never bring your car in for service on a Friday! I dropped off the TT to have it aligned and winter wheels balanced & installed today. They manage to screw up my rear camber (had it lowered last month) they are going to fix it on Monday, shouldn't be a problem.

The problem I have is that they told me all four of my 17 inch RS4 reps are bent. I took it for a spin after I picked it up and everything is normal except for a small vibration around 68-70mph. I've had these wheels on for two winters and a few weeks this july without any vibration. Before I dropped the wheels off I clayed and waxed the insides and removed the weights (for cleaning, that was my problem) since I was having them balanced the next day. I've had a bent wheel before and these wheels are in prefect shape, they might not be the highest quality castings, but they are straight.

Should I have Direct Tire balance my wheels again until they are right? or should I just go somewhere else? I realize they were extremely busy with a lot of customers having snow tires mounted so they probably didn't put much effort into balancing my wheels.

Any recommendations, I plan on having them re-balance my wheels on Monday when they fix my camber. Anyone I should talk to at Direct?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I hope you didn't go to DT in watertown, they are awfull

I only go to the Norwood place , I have being a customer of them for years and the Norwood store never disapointed me , once I tried the Watertown store and they balanced my tires all wrong , I went back only to be treated like crap . Norwood all the way.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default NTB told me the same thing

Car seems to drive just fine though.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did you ask them for specs? How far are they bent?

What are the permisible tollerances? There are specifications and that which falls outside of those tollerances. I may be 5 pounds overweight but that doesn't mean I need triple bypass surgery.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Try Little Car Foreign Garage in Waltham/Belmont...

they are excellent!
Old 12-02-2006, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I use Natick DT and am very happy..just had mine "Road Force" balanced, amazing difference

Ask for Doug (manager)508-651-8763
Great guy who cares, tell him your story.
He can put the wheels on the machine and show you the problem.
It is what it is, if they are a little bent and they can balance it out you might be ok.
Road force balancing is the only way I will go after seeing and feeling the results.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default me too...told them to compensate with balancing best they can and I can't even tell

then again with I drive the S2000 and go back to the Audi, I can tell.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

"Road Force" balancing (worth every $.01)
Old 12-02-2006, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I went to Watertown, used them for a few tire patches, never had any problem...>

I go to the Watertown store becuase its walking distance from my work, I drop it off in the morning, pick it up after lunch, really convenient. After this episode I will not be returning. I'll have to try the Norwoood store next time.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No I didn't ask for the specs, I just figured they didn't know how to balance them correctly

I had these wheel on for two winters and they have been perfect, my problem is that I took off all the old weights before I had them balanced. I removed almost 7 ounces of lead weights between the four of the wheels. These were the same weights that were on the wheels when I received them from Hartmann wheels. I think that the castings of the replica wheels aren't quite up to the standards as my oem wheels. Just because some of the wheels had a lot of weights on them and others had very few, but that could also have to do with the tires.. Whoever was balancing them at Direct Tire didn't want to spend the extra time on a Friday afternoon to do it right.

Quick Reply: Direct Tire told me all 4 of my wheels were bent, are they just trying to sell wheels?